FAQ's - What do you want to know...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Ok people...

I've put up a load of technical info regarding turbos, drivetrain etc... Now i need to know what else you want to know about..

Post requests in this thread and i'll write something up when i get a chance...

Rishi

Fazz

What about a guide on The chosen turbo's in the GTI-R ??

would be useful for when peeps are looking to upgrade - they can see the turbo of choice depending on their requirements etc...??

3071 Vs 3076 Vs 28RS Vs bigger GT3040 Vs Your huge baby???

also, Maybe a review of external wastegates on the market??

Rishi

Fazz said:
What about a guide on The chosen turbo's in the GTI-R ??

would be useful for when peeps are looking to upgrade - they can see the turbo of choice depending on their requirements etc...??

3071 Vs 3076 Vs 28RS Vs bigger GT3040 Vs Your huge baby???

also, Maybe a review of external wastegates on the market??

Write up on various turbos can be done... Will get something together and also run it by some other turbo people like Ashills and Ed who have good experience with the GT3071 and GT3076... Would be good to get their opinions...

External wastegate guide will take a little longer as there aren't many people who have tried and tested a great deal of them...

Rishi

CruiseGTi-R

Something more detailed (more specific to the R) regarding tuning to afr's, egt's and knock.

What afr's are acceptable and where throughout the rev range do you tune to target afr's?

What do you keep egt's to?

Tuning with det cans or off the stock knock sensor, what are you listening for, what do you do when you do sense knock and what do you look for on egt's when knock occurs? How to balance deciding whether to add more fuel (watching afr's) or whether to knock base timing back?

When changing base timing, what effect does it have on egt's?

Some bits I know about, but should be useful for others as more and more people have knock on their avcr's and egt's, widebands etc.

Cheers Rishi, stickies above are ace btw.

Last edited:

Rishi

CruiseGTi-R said:
Something more detailed (more specific to the R) regarding tuning to afr's, egt's and knock.

What afr's are acceptable and where throughout the rev range do you tune to target afr's?

Tuning with det cans or off the stock knock sensor, what are you listening for, what do you do when you do sense knock and what do you look for on egt's when knock occurs? How to balance deciding whether to add more fuel (watching afr's) or whether to knock base timing back?

Some bits I know about, but should be useful for others as more and more people have knock on their avcr's and egt's, widebands etc.

I've made a request to someone who has plenty of experience in this area... Will hopefully have something for you soon...

Rishi

kirko

using det cans is a case of getting used to what you are hearing and knowing
what to listen for and i imagine on different engines its characteristics will vary
if you do sense knock you can retard ignition or add a little fuel depending on how rich its running already, its gets to a point where you have to retard the ignition or add octane booster or use race fuel to keep the ignition advance
im no expert so feel free to explain it better

Rishi

I was going to go into details about it all but there are people who do this for a living know more about it than most, and so i thought it would be best to have their expert opinion... Esp concerning our particular cars...

Rishi

MarkTurbo

RishiGTiR said:
Ok people...

I've put up a load of technical info regarding turbos, drivetrain etc... Now i need to know what else you want to know about..

Post requests in this thread and i'll write something up when i get a chance...
Dont you mean you'll copy and paste it from Google search :lol:

Rishi

MarkTurbo said:
Dont you mean you'll copy and paste it from Google search :lol:
Not really... The Turbo info is all from Honeywell... People can't be bothered to look for it themselves then i figured i'd pull it all here... Why write something when someone else knows better... I never claimed to have writen it all... Its quite obvioius from the Honeywell logos that i didn't... :lol:

What i was offering to comment on was the differnces between the likes of certain turbos and info on maybe PPG Dog and Quiafe Syncro boxes, explanations to certain engine part designs, compression, methods to improve turbo spool etc... Things that relate to our car... Most of which i've PM'd people on request in the past anyway so i may aswel just post it here...

There are other aspects where others would be better to comment on such as mapping, where i have asked Fusion Ed to write something up for us...

If i want to know about thermal dynamics then i'll go to the relevant engineer...

If i want to strap an eBay rocket to the car and give it wings... Well... Then i'd just ask Ross (AJ4)... :lol:

Rishi

Rishi

CruiseGTi-R said:

Check it out - http://www.gtiroc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42090

Big thanks to Fusion Ed for writing this for us...

Rishi

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
A "when to" for when you need to change things at what power level. eg when the standard 8mm fuel lines become a restriction due to the amount they can supply, or the maf, or the plenum for what it can flow etc etc. Things like that

Rishi

That sounds like a good idea... Either a list of parts and their limits... OR how about a spec for any given bhp...?

300bhp, 350bhp, 400bhp, 450bhp, 500bhp etc etc...

There will always be a verience in opinions but i think it can be done...?

Rishi

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Or depending how you word it, I guess it could do both at once. If you list in order of needing to be changed, then you'd just work your way through the list on your quest for power.

Rishi

Fast Guy said:
Or depending how you word it, I guess it could do both at once. If you list in order of needing to be changed, then you'd just work your way through the list on your quest for power.

We should maybe miss out the price tag then... :lol:

Rishi

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Nah, put it in. It should put alot of people off buying a Gtir and keep us exclusive:lol:

G

Green Dwarf

:-D Agree with most of above comments +Start with the consumables and most frequently replaced parts.

List Nissan Part nos and or other after market. This is imortant. For the sake of someone typing it out once, it saves the rest of us a needle hunt!

List the best makes/ parts avail and alternatives. List items/choices to avoid esp if saftey is compromised. Good luck, and thankyou if you get it all up and running.

Regards

Mike

bengilmore

RishiGTiR said:
That sounds like a good idea... Either a list of parts and their limits... OR how about a spec for any given bhp...?

300bhp, 350bhp, 400bhp, 450bhp, 500bhp etc etc...

There will always be a verience in opinions but i think it can be done...?

Rishi
sounds good:thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.