FAQ - Turbo - Oil and Water line info inside

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sirnixalot

for those of you who require new oil and water lines for any SR20DET (FWD/AWD) you will need to know this

(all part numbers for summitracing.com unless other wise noted)

Oil supply line
12mmx1.25 to -6AN union adapter-----EAR-991945

6 AN female x -4 AN male AN reducer fitting-----EAR-989464

90 Degree -4AN hose end-----EAR-309104

Perform-O-Flex -4 AN hose, 3 Foot Length-----EAR-403004 (cut to required length)

GT Oil supply fitting (go to www.atpturbo.com)

Water supply
1/4" hose barb to 1/8" NPT union adapter-----EAR-984004

1/8" NPT female coupler-----EAR-991001

1/8" NPT to -4AN union adapter-----EAR-984004

-4AN straight hose end-----EAR-300104

Perform-O-Flex -4 AN hose, 3 Foot Length-----EAR-403004 (cut to required length, should be able to do the return and supply on the stock DET manifolds)

1/4" NPT to -4AN union adapter-----EAR-981644

ATP banjo water fitting adapters (go to www.atpturbo.com)

Water return

1/4" NPT to -4AN union adapter-----EAR-981644

-4AN hose(see above)-----EAR-403004

Oil Return

ATP GT Oil drain fitting and gasket

1/2" NPT to -10AN union adapter-----EAR-981610

-10AN hose end-----EAR-800110

-10AN hose (again this is a 3 foot section which you wont need all of)-----EAR-403010

-10AN hose end-----EAR-800110

1/2"BSPT to -10AN union adapter-----MMA-10-8 (this part number is for www.thinkauto.com)

Notes:

You will need to order 2 sets of the coolat adapters from ATP. You will only use 3 out of the 4 fittings, 2 on the turbo and one on the block.

Thinkauto.com is a UK site where i found the fitting. This is the only place ive found a BSPT to AN fittings of any sort (they call AN fittings JIC fittings). You want a British fitting...go to a British site, who would have thunk it.

ex-gtir

an sizes arnt really used in england
what are you trying to do put me out of work :wink:
return port in block is 1/2 bspt checked today
mike

S

Sirnixalot

nope mike im not trying to put you out of work, your hoses are wonderful by all accounts, this is mainly aimed ad people like me who are using a custom setup. I didnt intend to step on any toes.

And thank you for the thread measurment :D 8)

ex-gtir

im doing gazr beast this weekend and said he probaly best getting a filter as it kill two roller bearing turbo's so far (when matt oliver had it) jsut wondering is there a limit to how long i can make the hoses :?: oil feed that is
mike
i was kidding as well :D

S

Sirnixalot

ive seen people use 44" long hoses to feed their oil from the back of the motor so i would say keep it 4ft or less and use the same small hose to keep oil pressure

ex-gtir

is pressure or flow more important i use 1/4 smooth bore ptfe with stainless overbraid have seen high spec engine with converluted stainless steel hose dont know why you cant achieve laminar flow with convoluted hose it get turbulent.
mike

O

Odin

I'v been told by the people I'm getting my turbo off that you should
not put anymore than 20 psi through the turbo bearings as this will
kill them so they are putting a restricter in line for me to do just that
if this is correct it could be the reason matts car blew two turbo's.

I think this is worth looking at because the standard pipes might have
this allready fitted and we don't want people blowing there nice new
turbo's do we :wink: .

ex-gtir

standard pipe does not have a restrictor in them as i already check before i started makeing them :!: :!:
just a point to note putting a restrictor will not change pressure only flow youd need a pressure reducing valve to lower that part of the system to 20psi
this is if i remember right from my oil dynamics course
mike
your theory (20psi)might be right for roller bearing turbo but not for standard turbos

O

Odin

ex-gtir said:
your theory (20psi)might be right for roller bearing turbo but not for standard turbos
Yeah I thought that might be the case :wink:

S

Sirnixalot

i know trhe HKS GT series have an oil restrictor built in to the oil feel port on the center housing....this is probably the case with all the Garrett GT series center housings but im not 100% sure on that.

P

pschurr

I can confirm that the oil entry point into the HKS GT2530 is needle thin coming from the banjo... compared to the wide open flared pipe of the factory unit.

When installing it, I started the car before fitting the oil drain line... just to make sure I was getting oil into the turbo... expecting to see a drip-drip of oil... bugger me it was pissing out the bottom of the turbo, so even a pinhole through the banjo under pressure was flowing A LOT of oil.

peter

zia

don,t know if this true but hks series suffer from carbon blockage due to the restrictor which shorten life of the turbo.some tuner actaully increase the oil feed diamater.

zia

S

Sirnixalot

too much oil pressure will blow the oil seals in the turbo...this is why they do that

P

paulrandy

There is a restrictor in the standard oil line, it's in the banjo bolts, small hole about 1.5mm diam.

B

boots_n_braces

In fact a smaller diameter feed will increase the pressure and reduce the volume and speed of oil moving through. much like the venturi on a carb

Status
Not open for further replies.