External WG setup

K

krikra

Considering a External WG setup. What are the benefits from going external WG?

-I understand that the ext. wastegate can control boost better becuase of the much larger ammount of gasses that can be dumped. (Thats really only necissary if you run a BIG turbo on low boost..)

-Maybe less backpressure/restriction because of the dumped gas not going through the turbine? And even better if you dump it to atm. As the whole exhaust will be less restrictive..

-Abillity to use T3 flanged turbos.. Bigger exhaust housings/wheels and again less backpressure/restriction? Are T3 turbos (fx. GT30, GT3071R) really better than the T28 alternatives because of the bigger/ better flowing exhaust housing???

-Some would say that just the sound of external wg is benefit enough... :roll:

Am either going to use the GT3071R-WG or the "real" GT3071R with an external wg setup.. Leaning towards the last because of the above mentioned reasons..

Am I wrong in any of the above reasons?
Did I forget something?

Please feel free to correct/comment on this..Dont really know if its worth going external????

M

memski

No you're right on all accounts but shouldn't your question be "What are the benefits of going big turbo?" the external w/g is just part of the package.

You choose a bigger turbo because you want to flow more air, have less back pressure and make more power on less boost - an external wastegate that isn't plumbed back into the exhaust system will definately help spool up. I even noticed a difference in mine by removing the screamer pipe.

K

krikra

Yeah you're right memski..

Part of the question is "benefits from bigger turbo"

But in general Im interested in differences between theese two setups:
GT3071R-WG (T25 internal wastegate)
GT3071R (T3 external wastegate)

zia

gt3071R t3 will not fit the gtir mani unless you weld a flange to it.

zia

K

krikra

Yeah I know the flange wont fit.. But think I'll do a manifold like this with a T3 flange:

Is it possible to just drill 4 holes (T3 pattern) in the existing flange for ease? (Probably not but worth a try)

jonee

r

i'm sorry but you need to this just for the sound it makes :D

sod all that back pressure malarky :D

jonee

M

MarkMc

I think separating the gases is meant to give smoother(lamellar less turbulence) gas flow, which is better for spooling, control, etc…. I would not recommend dumping to the atmosphere from the external waste gate it is just too loud :cry: :twisted: . I used to have this setup(screamer pipe) and it made the car sound like race car :p (and gave maybe 10hp benefit at best), which is good, but after a while it’s just too noisy :cry: .

Cheers

Mark

zia

Is it possible to just drill 4 holes (T3 pattern) in the existing flange for ease? (Probably not but worth a try)
nope worn,t work. best bet is to cut the t25 flange from mani and reweld t3 on stock mani

got pic of my wastegate but haven,t finished putting it togeather as yet.

zia

jonee

r

zia i can't believe that you put your wastegate on the table without using some sort of table protection :roll: :D

nice wastegate 8)

jonee