exhaust too loud!

jamieddd

i have an mongoose exhaust systm.. i de-cated it myself jus putting a mild steel pipe in pops and bang nice but too loudd!

what options do i have to silence this down i was thinking silencer or resanotor any links or ideas plz..but obviously dnt want to kill the performace or bangs lol

also it sounds like a fart need a nice tune out

skiddusmarkus

Put the decat back in and the 3.5" tip.If its still too loud then get a massive back box made up for a couple of hundred quid.

I have a mongoose decat and 3.5" tip if needed.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Aren't there a couple of quiet(er) exhausts for sale on teh eBays at the moment? - I'm sure I've seen a departure system (not to everyone's tastes, I know), and a couple others with different back boxes.

jamieddd

most exhaust systems have back boxes toward the rear mongoose doesnt.. by me putting a silencer in the middle would it effect the perfrmnce i have 3.5 tip too

geoff pine

You could go for the mongoose decat muffle but I did have this on my mongoose and did not notice much difference !!! the best option is to have the mongoose modified at the back .

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
It won't really effect the performance if you do it right. - The silenced decats are a pretty common part, but I didn't really notice that much difference on mine either (although it's only a 2.5" systemt).

I think the biggest problem is that it's hard to get a large back box to fit without it exiting on the other side or folding-back on its self (which isn't good for the flow).
Doesn't yours now come-out on the other side Geoff?

The larger back box might kill some of the bangs, but it will probably *pop* instead.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
is a silencer just as restictive as a CAT or depends or resanotor is best...
No, it's nothing like as restrictive.

Objectively the silenced decat probably does a better job of breaking-up the harmonics (so you should get less drone/boom) than a simple straight-through pipe... but to get the noisy end quiet you really need some kind of box on it.

skiddusmarkus

Just asked about power as I wouldn't worry too much about restriction of a silencer unless you have quite a high spec.You are obviously going to lose a bit with a silencer but the benefits easily outweigh that.
I had a 3" system made and with 3 (small) boxes its not too bad now.I had a mongoose on for years but as I've got older it started to get on my nerves and put me off driving the car.No interior, no sound deadening and mongoose isn't a good combination.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Love it or hate it, this one is a genuine departure system. - It's even got dents from hitting things because of the way it hangs down...