Exhaust manifold bolts

Sonnygtir

I'm having a bit of a nightmare getting that one last manifold bolt out behind the manifold pipe. :cry: Any suggestion other that let the car rot in my garage? :cry:

Been doing this for a titting week now, well perhaps 10minutes out of the whole week. :D

And should I leave the heat sheild off when putting this back together....pressuming I get that far?

S

seanleed

To get that nut off; get yourself down to halfords and buy a wobble extension bar. I have a 1/2" set, but if you can get a 3/8" you might get a bit more clearance. Don't know about leaving the heatshield off, I'm going to put mine back on, but I might clean it up a bit first.

Davey

i'm pretty sure i used a ratchet spanner to do mine, there's no way you'll do it with a normal spanner
:shock:

A

Anonymous

hello mate i had the same trouble as you what i did was bought a 14mm rachet spanner from halfords think it was about £9 you can just about get it on the bolt, then get a long bar/rod that you can fit down between the manifoldline it up with the spanner and give it it a few wacks with a hammer making sure the spanner stays on the nut otherwise youll round the fu^^£r off,thats what i had to resort to.. after a bit of patients and few wacks she gave way....

Keira

Davey said:
there's no way you'll do it with a normal spanner
:shock:
I did :?

Was a right f*cker though.

Was even more of cnut to do back up after i'd lagged my manifold :shock:

S

seanleed

I tried it with my halfords ratchet spanner, but couldn't get enough movement for the pawl to move and engage in the next ratchety bit. Should have bought the ones with the one way bearing thingy that grip instantly :)

Sonnygtir

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried the rachet spanner, I could only find 12 pointers so I ended up rounding the bolt slightly. I then decided to buy a 3/8 drive halfords extension and use a 6point socket. I snapped the extension :(

So I'm gonna have to try a 1/2 drive set. :)