Exhaust DB

gtirneil

Anybody have an R on a standard turbo or a 3071R that uses a side exit exhaust and know roughly what DB it produces? I know they will be louder than a goose but is it just a little or stupid ammount.

Im going on track at Anglesey later on in the year and its a 105DB limit.

Just worried if i will be allowed on with the exhaust that im having.

Mr GTiR

gtirneil said:
Anybody have an R on a standard turbo or a 3071R that uses a side exit exhaust and know roughly what DB it produces? I know they will be louder than a goose but is it just a little or stupid ammount.

Im going on track at Anglesey later on in the year and its a 105DB limit.

Just worried if i will be allowed on with the exhaust that im having.
Your having a laugh! Mine is 3" turbo back and mine is 107db! Si 00Sid had his tested at 109db with a side exit and big turbo!

I'm having a new backbox fitted to mine to get it to 100db

S

s18rra

hi sorry to slightly change the subject but can you fail the mot for having a loud exhaust?

S

s18rra

oh ok thts good then, i thought there was a db limit as i saw a police man checking a mates r32 exhaust for loudness.

John

s18rra said:
oh ok thts good then, i thought there was a db limit as i saw a police man checking a mates r32 exhaust for loudness.
As far as I know there is no db limit for MOT's as my Pulsar never had an issue when I last had MOT'd. However I have been pulled over for the exhaust being supposdly illegally loud, however they never had a db meter on them so it was kinda there opinion versus my opinion.

They said when I was pulled over the MOT didnt cover exhaust db's, only emissions although I felt like pointing out to them that they were wrong as the Pulsar being a Jap import wasnt subject to emission tests!

MINESGTIR

if you pulled for that remind him how loud the TVR is and ask him if hed ever pull that over... they are c unts with nothing better to do

vss irvine

under new mot rules, you can fail if the mot tester is not happy with the noise level, its up to the testers own discretion

geoff pine

s18rra said:
hi sorry to slightly change the subject but can you fail the mot for having a loud exhaust?
Yes you can as the law states it should be no louder than the manufacturers original fit so if the MOT examiner says its to loud its afail. Its at his discretion he could if he wanted to fail your mongoose this is what my local examiner has told me its come up dozens of times on here if the examiner says its to loud then it fails.You will then have to hunt round to fined one that will pass it.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
s18rra said:
98db's is the road (MOT) legal limit.

Matty B

my mot tester was not very happy with me last time i took my R, i asked him to check my emissions ( he never usually bothers ) just to see what they were like, so he placed the testing probe into my tail pipe and got me to hold the revs on about 5 grand. At the time i had a full goose with de-cat, and a flame kit that i accidently switched on. He checked the screen and then told me to come off the throttle. As i came off the gas it back fired like a bomb going off and spat a huge flame out, (over fueling like mad ) it was as funny as fook. The reading was off the scale but still passed me.

John

fubar andy said:
98db's is the road (MOT) legal limit.
Thing is its really a theoretical limit for your MOT, a test center is very unlikely to fail you because your car is to loud as for 1 it means you aint going back there and 2 the amount of aggro they would get from an aggrevated owner.

I mean it would be quite valid for me to claim that this is how loud a standard Jap imported Pulsar is, he couldn't really prove otherwise.

Simple answer is to go to a test center where you know they will pass your car no matter how loud it is!