Engine upgrading advice???

Sweeny

As i know virtually nothin about turbo's and engines i need some help on upgrading my engine please guy's.

At the moment i have standard internals apart from hks cams and pulleys, front mount and unichip running 1.2 bar.

I wanna putt new pistons in this year (maybe JUN), new head gasket, lightened and balanced bottom end, and a new turbo. Could i get away with doing as little as this and run good bhp and torque on the rest being standard

The turbo's which i am interested in are as follows :

JGYBB37 - TO4B Compressor housing with 56 trim GT35 compressor wheel. 44lbs/min air flow. .86 AR T2 exhaust housing with 76 trim GT25 turbine wheel. Good for 400+HP and bolts on to SR20DET manifolds and downpipes. Internal Wastegate.
$1400

JGYBB37R - TO4B Compressor housing with 56 trim T04S compressor wheel. 55lbs/min air flow. .86 AR T2 exhaust housing with 84 trim GT30 turbine wheel. Good for 500+HP and bolts on to SR20DET manifolds and downpipes. Internal Wastegate.
$1500

ND Hyper Turbo (Low Lag)
Price: £1759 (incl. VAT)

The ND Hyper Turbo is a direct replacement turbo. It features a T04S compressor wheel and huge compressor cover. It retains a small T28 turbine housing with a special turbine wheel for low lag. The unit is full roller bearing and offers improved low down response and quick spool.option which will supply air for up to 450Hp without the complication of using an external wastegate.
(Note small fitting kit is needed).

All this is jargen to me!!

The main thing i want is quick spool up.

What would you do??

Any recommendations on what i should put in the engine??

Cheers chaps!! :D

GTIR-LOZ

depends on the horse power you want really but i believe the small fitting kit is a small 149 pounds if you go above 350 bhp the block is meant to start to twist so new liners would be handy as well

JU5TY

What size pistons are you going to go for, 86mm (Stock size) or 87mm (Oversized)?
I wouldn’t go for liners, it’s a lot of work to fit them. I had JUN liners and didn’t use them in the end, just bored out the standard ones. It was my machiners decision that they weren’t required. He was also worried about the amount of material he would have to bore out to fit the liners and how close to the waterways etc…
For this reason, me and Nad have both stuck with the stock liners. :D

I reckon the 350bhp plus requiring liners is a bit of a myth, have we even heard of anyone who’s had problems regarding the standard liners and piston clearances being distorted at high bhp?

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
looking at the selection of turbo's you have chosen number 1 & 2 I think are for the S13 SR20DET and might not be a direct fit to your N14 SR20DET manifold. Also Turbo Dynamics supply all of Norris Designs Turbo's, if you go straight to Turbo Dynamics you will get that turbo for under £1000 all in, I got a price of £960 outright and all inclusive.

1. JGYBB37
2. JGYBB37R
3. ND Hyper Turbo

I'm going for the HKS GT2835 in it's largest trim size, 4" inlet and .86 trim on the turbine housing, from Turbo Dynamics. I hope to see some where in the region of 370 - 400bhp @ about 1.6/7 bar :D ( and all my other mods ).
The other thing you have to start thinking about going past the 350bhp mark is your poor old gearbox :cry:

ashills

ive got the BB37 on my car now straight bolt on with a little mod to intercooler piping and inlet
i wouldnt go for a 4" inlet unless ur having a manifold made to get the turbo away from the block as the gearbox sticks out and my 2.75" inlet samco is scraping as it is but thats just my opinion

GTIR-LOZ

i tried to go to turbo dynamics direct about the price but they said they couldnt do it as they were meant for norris only and i spoke to craig, also i believe to get it at below a grand you have to send them your turbo to have it made into the hyper or super hybrid

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Well I must of imagined it then, duh stupid me. Do you think I'm just fooking making this up for something to say :x . In the end I beet him down so much he was going to let me have any of the TD turbo's from the MD214 up to the MD196 (MD196 is the ND Hyper Turbo) for £875 all in, I actually bought the MD214S for £875 including the vat and carriage, non exchange.
OR DID I JUST IMAGINE IT !!!

coxie

i don't know if it matters but i have the ND hyper turbo and my samco reducer just scrapes past the gearbox as well just as the BB37 does as ashills said. :D

GINGA

I looked into getting the hks gt2835r with the 4" inlet and found out that it will not be a direct fit on the standard gtir manifold :(
The manifold would have had to be spaced out from the head with longer studs fitted etc or the manifold flange cut off and rewelded on, to angle the turbo away from the block.
Both the jgy ones are supposed to be a direct fit onto the standard manifold but will need different oil/water lines fitted with a smaller reducer in the oil feed line (0.061") as the standard pressure is to much for that type of turbo and will blow the seals if its not reduced, they will also need a modified actuator bracket to.
But both the jgy one's are pretty much untested so we'll have to wait to see what figures they give.

A

Anonymous

So what do you think of the ND Super Hybrid (Turbo Dynamics MD172) turbo then GINGA?

I've recently had this fitted...........I'm not after large figures, just a better turbo that can hold boost better and give better low down respone and less lag.