Engine shuts down to idle every 5 minutes

P

paulrandy

Got to go and look at an R for a friend over the weekend, he says it shuts down to idle after driving for 5 minutes but if you turn it off and restart it it's fine for another five minutes then does it again, any ideas before i go have a look? He said he took it to Nissan, they said airflow meter but he got another one and it's still the same.

Cheers, Paul.

zia

without having a look it could anything
possibly bad/intermittant/loose connection at air flow meter/tps/timing out.or perhaps it going into limp home mode.
does it missfire?
has it got uneven idle?
does it lack power?

zia

A

Anonymous

Check the airflow meter connection and all the sensors. Mine did the same and I tried other peoples ECU's, airflow meters, etc. Turned out to be one of the sensors (throtle pos. IIRC) I'd start there if I were you mate!

Good luck,
Dunc

P

paulrandy

Well after over a week of messing around with it i finally sorted it today and it was a broken wire on the back of the speedo!!? Why on earth this should cause a problem ive no idea!? I'm guessing it was the speed feed for the ecu?

J

Jonny H

i had a similar problem with my rev counter..... broken wire from the rev counter caused the car to not start at all, didnt even tick over :shock: