engine shunting

nismoboy

when driving at low speeds or coasting then going back on the throttle quickly my car clunks, it also does it when i change gear, its not my engine mounts, and has nothing to do with the gearbox as ive had several and it still does it. i checked the rear subframe bushes visually and they look ok and i even tried pulling the rear subrame and there is no movement so that rules that out. I read somewhere that it could be the rear diff?
anyone had any similer problems? and now how to fix this?

how do u know if the diff is fooked? how do u check these?

D

DOT2DOT

Diffs need to be stripped and measured to check the backlash etc.

D

deslynam

?

Does the shunting come from the transmission tunnel?

One of the prop-shaft mounts has gone on my car, so they're not mating together correctly and this is causing a clunk when under load or coming off load if driving in a spirited fashion. Seems to be the same symptoms anyway...

I think the mounts aren't too expensive but there are 3 of them so it's probably best to replace all of them. :(

nismoboy

Re: ?

deslynam said:
Does the shunting come from the transmission tunnel?

One of the prop-shaft mounts has gone on my car, so they're not mating together correctly and this is causing a clunk when under load or coming off load if driving in a spirited fashion. Seems to be the same symptoms anyway...

I think the mounts aren't too expensive but there are 3 of them so it's probably best to replace all of them. :(
how do u check the propshaft mountings thanks?

D

deslynam

I'd guess you'd need to get underneath and have a good look about it to see if there's any untoward flex & see what happens as the engine is revved too? :?:

Kirko - :eek:.
I was told that Evo ones are ~ £65, kinda presumed that 'R ones would be about the same. I wanna cry now! :(

nismoboy

deslynam said:
I'd guess you'd need to get underneath and have a good look about it to see if there's any untoward flex & see what happens as the engine is revved too? :?:

Kirki - :eek:.
I was told that Evo ones are ~ £65, kinda presumed that 'R ones would be about the same. I wanna cry now! :(
8) thanks i`ll take a look.

soin

i ll be watching this post closely as my car suffers from the same symptoms , low speeds usually in second gear in traffic ...very annoying ..letting off throttle and coming back on with minimal throttle very unsmooth power delivery .... i have a feeling its something worn in the diff ... due to years of full throttle gear changes good luck ...there have been a number of used diffs on ebay recently going quite cheap , but whos to say these arent in the same state