Engine rebuild

Cathode

I've decided to rebuild the engine in the Pulsar. Before i go ahead with any purchases on internals and the like, is there anything i need to know, should do, shouldn't do??

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Simon

johnny gtir

I am not going to advise much on internals as it's not my strongest area. What stage you at stripped and checked yet or ? Seen a few order parts they don't need or the wrong size pistons etc as they order in advance and turn out to be no good

You got any idea on makes parts you need ?

Cathode

Well, it's upgrades all round really. Internal wise my default setting is Forge con/pist/shells/rings, ARP head bolts, decent quality water/oil pumps ( probably Nissan ), new timing chain, MHG, oil cooler, new FMIC as the current one looks ugly and is rather oxidised. New belts and tensioners , spark plugs and HT leads. If anyone feels that Forge is not necessarily the only option i'm all ears. I have been reading about certain issues with getting the correct shell sizes. I've done my homework on that and will wait until i get the engine out. I will have a good butchers for the magic numbers - on the side of the block? - to get the right size shells. It's likely i'll get the crank polished and balanced too.

It already has an aftermarket ECU - chipped i believe - so i was thinking about changing the MAF for the Z32 variant but i wouldn't know if that has already been done as i'm new to the Pulsar and wouldn't know what to look out for. Anyway, not a priority at the moment.

New Valves and valve springs while i'm at it? I was also thinking about changing the turbo, which i assume is standard, for something a little larger. I don't know if there are any common well trodden paths, i.e. straight bolt on possibilities from other Nissan Models or knocking on the door of Borg Warner or Garret.

Gear box is going to be seen to. Has a tasty crunch in 5th and the selector has selected to give up selecting. So, this is getting sent off and sorted out too. And of course, a decent clutch but haven't really delved too deep into that one.

Last edited:

johnny gtir

First one is no to arp head bolts. Arp rod bolts yes head bolts no they don't seat properly ( do in the 200 blocks not ours) and the head lifts. Standard nissan ones are good for most peoples needs as take good power. Mhg a lot of people were using cosworth and just enlarging ( think it was only a couple holes) plugs don't go iridium tips snap off. Copper core ones ngk bcr8es are common . Standard nissan plug leads work good and a good ignition system is a must. Good hoses. Turbo depends on power and use of the car. Few common ones used 2871,2876,3071 and few others now. A lot more to it than I have wrote but gives you some ideas to work from and look into

Cathode

Right! The engine is out, started disassembling, i'll put the pics up all together for any pointers including the MAF.

Cathode

i've taken some more pics and will upload when i figure out how to get them on here.

I understand my progress is glacial in respect to getting photos on here, bear with me. :neutral: