Engine maybe Goosed?

S

SteveM

I am looking for a bit help as my Pulsar was misfiring for a couple of hours. I went straight home and the next day i took it to the garage and i have been advised that a spark plug has blown down into a piston, AAAAHHH I may have to get a full engine rebuild and for this i have been quoted a rough idea of around £1800! does this seem a decent price and has anybdy ever experienced this happening to their Pulsar?
:cry:

Moved to regular servicing

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
That's quite cheap but it depends what they're doing to it.
Do you know what plugs they were? Quite often plugs can loose a tip, normally if they've ben detting.

Did they boroscope the engine? or even do a compression test? These cars can misfire for alot of reasons :?

S

SteveM

I just had a 5 minute chat with garage and i never asked these questions but i will ask them tomorrow morning. I dont know the type of spark plugs as i have just got the car 4 months ago but it sounds like the plug has been blown into the piston and scored the engine. they asked me if i had been using petrol addititives but i havent however i had used alot of that BP crap and i will never use it again as i will stick to Shell Optimax when or if i get the Pulsar back. :shock:

mattygti-r

ever had this car on a rr to make sure the fueling was ok

that bp stuff when ive used it on mine just maeks the car pop and bang

optimax it runs so much better

S

SteveM

My Engine maybe Goosed?

No never had it on a RR but i should have. I am going through to the garage today to check it out, i appreciate the helpful comments so far. I will definately be looking to have it rebuild with more beastly power (bang goes the holiday money and the overdraft! )

K

KRS

If your increasing the octane rating it may have prevented them from melting :(

J

jiw

i have read before that if you use too much octane booster or a crappy one this can have an adverse effect and lower the octane rating of the fuel :evil:

S

SteveM

Great News! Blown spark plug did not damage the piston just the valve. so i have had new rings put in and new valves. Getting an HKS head gasket fitted. I have a chance of buying a 350BHP turbo for around £450 and i am tempted! Steve :D