Engine "jumping"?

GTI-R 300bhp

When driving my car, between 3 to 4 thousand revs on boost, it jumps a bit then once I hit 5 thousand it takes off; any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:

shroom

Shit me iz gonna try dat shit at maccys wid sum trays n bricks innit be like bak to da future but wid a shitter uglya car innit

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I keep telling my wife that I'm going to get the Duke's air horn for the R... she doesn't think it's funny.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
So you're not used to a car that's lasted 20 years then? (You left yourself wide open for that.)

What have you looked-at so far?
Plugs and gap? - If the gap is too small (say 0.5mm) the spark will die, then build back up as the increased voltage overcomes the problem.
MAF? - The little wire can get covered in gunk (especially if you run an oiled air filter or have had an HKS one on for years without replacing the foam) and stop reading the air flow.
Leads? - You'd be surpised the number of problems that are fixed by taking out the "uprated" leads and putting the standard ones back in.
Fault Codes - That's a link to the sticky.

Could you also explain the problem a little more verbosely? We've had members claim that they can do wheelies and jumps in their GTi-R before, so when you say yours "jumps" people will start taking the piss because we know that's not how these cars behave.

Now I realise half the problem. - You've posted in "general discussion" rather than in "problem solving" where all the posts about fixing problems are (I'll move the thread).

John

I suggested the search feature to him after his first two threads asked very simple questions, which if he had searched would have yeilded an answer within seconds.

As your new to the site I would again suggest using the search facility, this site has been going for years so most, if not all, of the information is there so make use of it.

"Text" talk is not appreciated here so dont use it, if you cant find what you are looking for via search be very clear and concise on what you are asking for help with, stating your car is jumping is not concise nor are you even telling us what potential issues you have ruled out.

We are here to help but do yourself a favour and dont leave yourself wide open for abuse!

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Sounds to me like spark plug blow out possibly. Also may be running too much boost.
Yes, that's what I was thinking too; it's why the first question was about the plugs and the gaps.

My gapping issue was from being too small and so the power peaked at 4800rpm, dipped, then started to build again by about 6000rpm(so the dyno curve is polynomial instead of parabolic). If this problem is coming on much earlier, could that be too big a gap (which would be blowing-out like you say)?
Or is it simply shifted further down the rev range because it's a different boost level (I was at 1bar at the time)?

Fusion Ed

I forgot to also say the distributor cap is probably also furred up on the internal contacts making the issue worse.