Engine is back in and now more problems

gazgstar

ok so went through a few checks on the car today starting with a compression test and all 4 cylinders gave reading of 145psi which as far as I know should be fine. Also had a good look at the plugs and theres no sign of it running rich,they seemed quite clean. did a few checks for vacum/boost leaks,couldn't find any. Had read a bit on the manual about blocking the vacum to the fpr so tried that to see if it would run any better and it basically just made the car tickover slightly better but was still totally undriveable as soon as it was put under load. Really dont know what to try next with it. The car basically ticks over perfect and will rev up perfect with no blue smoke,but as soon as you drive it just uncontrollably stutters until it comes on boost. And when it smokes its like a light blue/whiteish a suppose kind of smoke,and it only happens wen u start decelerating.

stumo

First thing to do is change your engine oil, it'll be diluted with fuel. It will fubar your new engine very quickly.

Next thing to do is think what is different from before you took the engine out to now. I mean think of EVERYTHING that's different, no matter how small.

As has been said before check the wiring for the AFM and DET sensor with a ohm meter, while you've got that out check all your earths.

My guess is there's a crack in one of the wires.

Did you paint the block? did you scrape the paint off where the DET sensor fits? if not you'll have to.

Is the fuel press regulator piped up the right way round?

gazgstar

yeah weve changed the oil a few times just to be certain and changed both the afm and det to rule them out. We didnt paint the block just gave a good clean down, we did find a cracked wire going to the afm but have now repaired that,doesnt really seem to be overfueling. Having 2nd thought now about the vacums that go to the fpr,and what way round they go. Has anyone got any pictures of theres so that I can compare it?

stumo

the pipes off the black metal box under the plenum can be used for the FPR.

One quick way to check that the PFR is working is to start the engine and see how it's ticking over, then clamp the vac pipe and the engine note should change and it should go a bit richer.

have you checked the fuel pipes are connected the right way round? The pipe off the fuel filter should go to the fuel rail and the fuel pipe off the FPR should go to the return fuel pipe located under the filter.

It might be worth checking continuity between the AFM, the DET sensor and the ECU connector to rule out any wiring problems.

Also double check the earths on the plenums and the one by the O/S engine mount

gazgstar

ok so I took the turbo off the car today to give it a check and noticed that the spindle was moving in and out,would this contribute to the stutering until it hits proper boost pressure? and I'm guessin this could give me the smoke I described before? Also noticed something on the owners manual about when the speedo isnt connected up properly(like mine at the moment) it sends some sort of signal to the ecu,could this contribute to my problems?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
A belated answer to both these questions.

Turbo movement won't cause stuttering, but will probably cause the smoke you've seen.
Speedo not working shouldn't cause stuttering either, but I did notice a few years back when my delimiter broke, if you went fast enough the car would cut out like a fuel and ignition cut combined until the speed came back down to 90ish.

skiddusmarkus

Have you checked your injectors are all clean?After being stood for ages mine sounded like a scooby when started up and was running rich.It turned out that 2 of the injectors had got gummed up(even though they only had around 200 miles on them since last sonicly cleaned).I tested some other ones in and it ran fine so I knew it was that.Had the injectors cleaned for around £15 each at an ASNU dealer.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Yeah, I just had a brain wave and googled it:doh::oops:

I thought they were few and far between, but there's hundreds of them.:thumbsup:

gazgstar

Have you checked your injectors are all clean?After being stood for ages mine sounded like a scooby when started up and was running rich.It turned out that 2 of the injectors had got gummed up(even though they only had around 200 miles on them since last sonicly cleaned).I tested some other ones in and it ran fine so I knew it was that.Had the injectors cleaned for around £15 each at an ASNU dealer.
That does sound similar to the way mine was when i first started it,although i did have a faulty afm and det. It doesnt really seem to be running rich anymore,all the plugs seem fine. Think I'll change the turbo first and go from there but I think i will end up changing the injectors just to rule that out,thanks

gazgstar

A belated answer to both these questions.

Turbo movement won't cause stuttering, but will probably cause the smoke you've seen.
Speedo not working shouldn't cause stuttering either, but I did notice a few years back when my delimiter broke, if you went fast enough the car would cut out like a fuel and ignition cut combined until the speed came back down to 90ish.
where is the delimiter wired into? Have noticd that there is a hks fuel cut defender wired into the ecu...really not got a clue what this does?:) could it possibly be giving me problems?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
where is the delimiter wired into? Have noticd that there is a hks fuel cut defender wired into the ecu...really not got a clue what this does?:) could it possibly be giving me problems?
It's not needed on our cars, so a waste of time and money.

The delimiter can be on the back of the clocks or in the engine bay infront of the fusebox behind the drivers side headlight.