Engine idle

The Doc

Moderators
Staff member
There is a huge wiki section that covers high idle..it could be air leaks,stuck butterflies in the tb, power steering idle up switch failure,air con idle up switch, there is a screw on the idle controlvvalve on the right hand side of the throttle bodies, ignition timing might be out...etc etc

Rscozzy

When I start it from cold revs are about 1250 ish when it's been running for 5mins it goes down to 1000 and stays there Until it starts getting up to temp then revs go back up to 1250 and stay there tried to adjust screw on fb but it's screwed in as far as it will go with no effect

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
That sounds like it's working correctly. - Fast idle to warm up then dropping to ~1000rpm to idle.

What dump valve have you got installed? - For a while I had a Bailey single-piston valve that would leak under idle vacuum so sometimes the base idle was ~1000 and sometimes it was ~1200rpm.

Like The Doc says; there's a whole host of things that can cause a high idle and you just need to work through them until you find the one that works for you. Sorry.

Rscozzy

Think I sorted it pipe to dump valve was loose righted it seems to tick over better just over 1000 rpm