Engine has suddenly got very noisy!

A

Adamantium

Driving the 10 miles home from work this evening, everything running fine. About 4 miles from home i turn the radio on... Half a mile from home i turn my (quite loud) music down to hear that my engine is making a very loud noise :shock:

The only way i can describe it, is that it sounds like a leaf stuck in a fan! The higher the revs, the more noise it makes...

Oil pressure and level is fine, car is acting normally as far as i can tell - pulling as normal etc etc.. The sound is barely audible on tickover - but is immediately apparent once you give it some revs.

I've had the hood open with the engine running, and it seems to be coming from the main engine block (but i can't be sure tbh)

The car had a full service only 2k miles ago at most.

Argh! Help!

neil240z

sounds like you have spun a bearing bud....:(

if so i have a nice engine replacement!!

Last edited:

mattytappy

mine want be far away from sounding like that......ONCE IVE SMASHED IT TO BITS WITH MY 12LB SLEDGE HAMMER:evil:.....whats causing the sx to sound like that....sounds like rebuild time to me?

P

pulsarboby

adam, its a bonnet not a hood:roll: :doh: is you a yank or boyz in the hood:lol: :lol:

from what your describing i would say that it wasnt a bearing tbh, that will give a heavy tractor like knock (as in vid, but not the lighter knock you can hear)
check all the simple things like pulleys for starters! remove the belts so you have disabled all the auxilliary stuff like water pump, alternator. if noise then stops, then you know its one of those things thats causing it.
however if it continues then you will need to investigate further on engine. you could also dip the clutch pedal then rev it, that will eliminate a noisy rattling input shaft or release bearing from the box.

stugtir300

hi all mine made the same noise when it spat out a spark plug after a good thrash,i didnt really notice the noise when the car was in motion ,only when i pulled up at home,when i heard it i thought i had broke something,so i checked all the simple things that pulsar boby has mentioned and low and behold the last thing i checked was the plugs,so i removed all the plugs to check they were ok,then refitted them,i probably didnt torque them up properly when i gave the r a service,the problem hasnt reared its ugly head since.hope that helps.

youngsyp

If I heard a noise that sounded like "a leaf stuck in a fan", I'd expect it to sound like a raspy, purse your lips and blow sound, rather than a rattly engine, collapsed/knackered bearing sound. And if it was as loud as Adam's putting across, you'd be picking bits of engine up, off the road. :lol:

From what your describing, I'd be looking for a blowing exhaust/manifold gasket.
Or maybe somethings come loose and making contact with the moving belts etc...

Paul

A

Adamantium

Thanks everyone for your suggestions / advice - without this forum i could never get away with owning my Pulsar (and still afford to feed myself) :p

stevepudney said:
does it sound like this

click here
No, there's definitely no heavy tractor-like knocking sound like in that vid..

pulsarboby said:
adam, its a bonnet not a hood:roll: :doh:is you a yank or boyz in the hood:lol: :lol:
lol bob - you're right, dunno why i said hood tbh!? :doh:

youngsyp said:
If I heard a noise that sounded like "a leaf stuck in a fan", I'd expect it to sound like a raspy, purse your lips and blow sound, rather than a rattly engine, collapsed/knackered bearing sound...

From what your describing, I'd be looking for a blowing exhaust/manifold gasket...
Yes.
Having listened to it again now i'm home (been out at a f'kin dinner party all night - worrying about it) it definitely sounds like something's blowing, and i was wrong - you can hear it on tickover. I've had a good look round all the belts as best i can (in the dark, in this freezing-ass -20 degrees weather) - can't see anything in contact, and tbh it sounds like it's coming from the manifold area.

Paul, if you're around tomorrow (Thurs) evening - could i drop in at yours after work (6:20pm'ish) so you can cast your ever-knowledgeable eye (ear) upon my poorly beast?

PS. Happy 3 decades for last Sunday mate ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

youngsyp

Adamantium said:
Paul, if you're around tomorrow (Thurs) evening - could i drop in at yours after work (6:20pm'ish) so you can cast your ever-knowledgeable eye (ear) upon my poorly beast?

PS. Happy 3 decades for last Sunday mate ;)
Thanks mate.

I'm not sure if I'll be around tonight as, we need to do our weekly shop. Send me a text when you're leaving work and I'll let you know if I'm around.

In the mean time, you could start the car, go round to the exhaust with an old rag and cover the exhaust pipe so, no gas is coming out. Have a listen and you should be able to hear if you have an exhaust leak. It should sound like a 'ssssssssssssss' type of sound.

If you start the car from cold and let it warm up, whilst looking under the bonnet and around the exhaust, you may see steam where the leak is ?!

Paul

turbodaily

yeah sounds like it could be exhaust blow somewhere. check the flange where the downpipe bolts to the turbo. or you might have split your flexi on the downpipe.. if its that bad you should be able to feel it blowing on your hand if you hold your hand near the flanges when engines cold ie manifold to head and elbow to downpipe joins.