Engine dull knocking sound

colin22

My car makes a dull knocking sound which kind of sounded like the piston slap from my previous car but to a much lesser degree. On cold start up, the car doesn't make the sound until after 15-20 seconds then it starts knocking. It's a quiet dull knock during idle and light throttle until full warmed up. When the car is fully warmed up, I don't hear it under throttle anymore but I can still hear it very quiet during idle. Any ideas where this sound is coming from? I hope it's not rod knock starting... oh and oil pressure seems to be good, cold start it'll go up to 6 and when warmed up its around 2 on the stock oil pressure gauge. I was using 5w40 before and I just switched to 0w50. The sound is still there.

Last edited:

The Doc

Moderators
Staff member
How cold is cold,it might be the oil is to thin on cold start...that might be the start of big end knock from wear.

colin22

I JUST put in eneos 0w50 fully synthetic like 2 days ago. it would suck if i had to drain it, it wasnt really cheap. But i dont want rod knock...

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Did you read the page I linked to? Nissan don't recommend 0Wanything and only 5W/30 in extremely cold climates, which having just seen you're in Vancouver, you might get away with.

Your oil might just be too thin like The Doc says.

colin22

K I just put in total quarts 10w50. Hopefully this'll help the noise. The oil pressures are now really high even when the oil is warm the pressure hovers around 4 on the stock gauge. if it was a rod or main bearing making that sound, wouldnt i have low pressure?

colin22

Ya sorry about the loud exhaust. It doesnt do that loud knocking but it does do that hollow knock you hear right before the loud rod knock sound.