Engine cut underload

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
I’ve been having a little test session with the GTiR recently and I’ve noticed that at high rev’s around about 6k rpm in 3rd there seems to be a fuel cut or something cutting the engines power.
It also happened on a high speed run: In 5th I floored it and when I reached 128mph it cut again until the speed fell to around 105mph then the engine “came back to life” Again it tired it and again at 128mph it cut, just the same.

There are no boost increases or controllers in my car, nor an uprated fuel pump in the fuel tank; however I have noticed a small hole (looks to be a stone impact) on the intercooler, which appears to have made a small hole in core.
Would this be detrimental to the engine performance or cause this kind of engine cut under load?

Any ideas would be appreciated

Braveheart

If your intercooler or any of the plumbing to and from had a hole in it then your car would not run properly at all.
The fact that the problem shows it's self at 6K+ rpm or 128mph could be a number of thinks. fuel, plugs, dizzy, HT leads, coil.
Is the car fitted with a delimitter? Otherwise it may be restricted to 112mph and a limit on RPM or your delimitter my be faulty!

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Braveheart said:
The fact that the problem shows it's self at 6K+ rpm or 128mph could be a number of thinks. fuel, plugs, dizzy, HT leads, coil.
All these items have been checked and seems to be in working order. The dizzy was "furred" up, but that was cleaned after it developed a misfire around 4 months ago.

Braveheart said:
Is the car fitted with a delimitter? Otherwise it may be restricted to 112mph and a limit on RPM or your delimitter my be faulty!
There is no limiter as it has hit much higher speeds from a previous test session and it wouldn't cut out in 3rd around 6k rpm