Engine coughing with black smoke

5GTIR

Hi there, I hope someone can help as this looks to be a serious issue.

Earlier the engine seemed a little hesitant under throttle but this seemed to last a very short distance. Then a little while later I was at a junction and idle dropped to 800rpm. Then as I went up the road the engine seemed hesitant again. This was from about 1000rpm to about 2500rpm then it seemed ok again, boosting fine. Then........I got another mile down he road and the hesistancy turned into a splutter and I my exhaust note totally changed and went a bit deeper with a nasty raspy edge to it. At this point the car was really hesistant and started kangarooing down the road. I got it back home and it began idling at between 400 and 600 rpm!!!!! at this point it sounded more like a bloody flat four!!!! When I got out I noticed that quite thick black smoke was coming out the exhaust. I then popped the bonnet and the whole engine was sounding really loud. I noticed a few intemitant wisps of smoke seemingly coming from under my manifold heat shield though this only lasted 30 seconds or so. When I applied throttle it just didn't want to rev, I listed to the engine and I thought I could hear a bit of a knock at the bottom end though I cant be sure because it was so bloody noisy.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be as I'm really not sure. Any help would be much appreciated as I need to get this sorted!

Thanks

Bart GTI-R

do a compression check and check the plugs while their out, if thats ok, check the turbo because it sounds like thats gone, if thats ok could be an injector but to be honest a compression check would need to be done first, could be injector or something simple or could be a big problem!!

(the knock and the smoke doesnt sound good though)

GTIR-LOZ

sounds like you have blown a turbo hose off somewhere, or have some other big air leak black smoke means overfueling so check your hoses are not split/off you can always spray brake cleaner or wd40 on different areas and if you have an air leak then the engine revs would rise or fall, but it should be fairly obvious where it is

if not check your injectors as one might be stuck open/closed you can do this by unplugging them one at a time with the engine running the engine note should change with each one you remove as well as misfiring badly (only do 1 at a time then refit the plug you have removed and move to the next)

you can also remove your spark plugs and check if any are really badly sooted up as this will show you which cylinder there is a problem on

prob an air leak though

davey red.r

i had this problem on my last r excactly the same symptoms,
was the turbo blowing from the rear,
if you can get it up, and check the rear of the turbo, and check the block opposite, as there will be evidence where it has been blowing,hopefully.

davey

5GTIR

Well cheers for the responses so far guys...

I've just got back and removed the spark plugs and turned the engine over on the starter moter. It's definately not the any sort of bottom end failure as it sounds fine with no out of place noises. However all my spark plugs were completely coked up which would lead me to think that maby oil is getting in which leads me to think that the turbo may have blown its seals. Ofcourse it could mean as mentioned above that its massively over fueling. I'm going to check the oil level in the morning and do all the checks that have been mentioned above. If anyone has anymore thoughts please let me know.

Thanks again for everyones help

Last edited by a moderator:

5GTIR

Well I've sourced the problem after a lot of hassle and taking everything apart, it turned out to be a faulty air flow meter. When I disconnected it the engine ran a hell of a lot better. Then I cleaned up the coked up spark plugs, put them back in and now it runs perfectly. Time for a Z32 upgrade I think.

Thanks to everyone for getting back to me and lending some good advice