Engine Checking

ki_saj_ng

hey all,

some of u might know that my engine has gone poop and am either in the search of another one or considering a rebuild.

iv had luck in finding an engine or two but these cannot be shown running. one guy claims that his engine is on 37000miles and he bought it to put into his car that had also a pooped engine but cant be bothered as he now has an evo 6.

what sort of check up/tests can i do on the engine apart from looking at how clean it is, just a little confused that if i buy it and what if that is pooped too.

cheers

saj 8) - back on it

Mr GTiR

you have to take a chance i'm afraid. If it's not running then it's quite hard to do a compression test but if it's been stodd for an amount of time then it's pretty pointless.

Apart from doing a visual inspection there's nothing much more you can do (unless it runs).

I brought a second hand engine (had to drive from Wigan to Torque!) and took a chance on that. It looked very clean not in the sense that it had been cleaned but no leaks or marks what so ever. When we did a leak down test all the valves were found to be leaking so all the valves had to be cut and reseated.

Buying a second hand engine is also always risky. Best best is to get yours stripped and rebuilt. Then you know it will be done properly and to your specification. I'll pm you later when i get home to answer your pm mate :wink:

I

Innovate Performance

will send you a pm later on about you engine. :)

ki_saj_ng

Thanks James for the quotes, just trying to work out whats best and what i can can actually afford.

And MrGtir, dont think i have forgotten about what you said, i will most probably give you a call tonight, its just that my brother has bought a new house and i have been well busy trying to get him settled in that.

Basically im ducking from uni this whole week and due to me being at home everyones trying to make the most of it. With all thats going on, im finding no time at all to get anything sorted out for my car.

Anyway, thanks guys and i will be getting in touch with u all once i have worked out what i am going to do.

cheers

saj 8)