Electric windows gone dead ... mystery

A

adey

I've just lost operation of both electric windows, and the door locking ... i.e. everything controlled via that block of switches on the driver's door. All the fuses seem OK. Does anyone know why the entire thing should die? I've checked that the plugs are still in place round the back (3 in total) (Passenger window lifter dead too). All other electricals still OK. I'm baffled! :(

A

adey

Fire & skill said:
could be a burnt or corroded plug on the main loom at the control assy.

apart from that it seems a bit odd :?
'scuse my ignorance but where abouts is the control assy?

A

adey

bex said:
broken switch! :(
I'll get it tested out on another GTI-R. Seems strange that everything should go at once but I suppose if it's a wire shared by all of them, tis possible. :(

paz

adey said:
bex said:
broken switch! :(
I'll get it tested out on another GTI-R. Seems strange that everything should go at once but I suppose if it's a wire shared by all of them, tis possible. :(
Check this first, but if not it could be that the switch has dismantled itself. Do the switches seem loose and floppy or is there still some resistance in them?

Paz

B

bex

neils windows broke (passenger and driver)

his drivers switch was the problem

:)

SickBoy

Its a great laugh taking the switch apart for the first time :D

I did mine not knowing wot to expect and all the little plastic pins fell out into my gravel drive .......hours of fun :lol: :lol:

Lee

paz

SickBoy said:
Its a great laugh taking the switch apart for the first time :D

I did mine not knowing wot to expect and all the little plastic pins fell out into my gravel drive .......hours of fun :lol: :lol:

Lee
:lol: I wasn't even trying to do it first time and I ended up dismantling the thing... net result, plastic pins all over the fooking floor :roll: :lol:

Paz

P

pyrotecnic

listen to bex. Exactly the same happened on mine and all the windows didnt work. Was a micro chip on the drivers door control that packed up and took out all the windows.

A

adey

Thanks for that info boys and girls, I'll try the switch in another car to see if that's the problem. The switches haven't gone floppy, they don't feel any different, but cripes if they have got a micro chip in them then that's too complicated for me. Sounds like I'll end up with a pile of plastic bits on the drive :eek:

gtirneil

Ive still got a full drivers side switch and stuff if any one ever needs those little black things, ive got about 4 left lol

PS before anyone asks, no it doesnt work ;)

B

bex

you just need to buy a whole new set of drivers switches

im sure someone will have some somewhere

we payed about £90 for them

as they were really hard to get hold of a while ago!

A

adey

Well the blummin thing has decided to start working now. Very strange. Must be Japanese Gremlins. Thanks again folks. :)

C

carpy100

i know exactly whats wrong. i had a similar experience a while back...

theyre fukkkkd :!: :lol: :lol: :lol: