EGT probe in back of CAT

celm

does anyone know what the EGT probe in back of the catalitic converter is for?
can i take it off,does it serve a perpose?

paz

If your talking about the temperature type thingy that runs into the cat - its for measuring how how the EGT gets to prevent damage to the cat. If you have fitted a decat system to the car then you don't need it anymore, if you cut it either tape it up thoroughly or unplug it in the floow under the drivers seat and you'll be fine.

My car is running fine without it as are many others ;)

paz

Mr GTiR

yep just unplug it from underneather the drivers seat under the carpet. The wire is braided s/s so easy to identfy. Don't forget to pug a rubber grommet in when you have it out or else you'll have shit flying into the car from that hole.

I have a sensor spare if anyone needs one :wink:

M

MORRISMINOR GTI-R

hmm mines still connjected up with my goose with de-cat. will this be doing any harm or should i just disconnect it.?

paz

MORRISMINOR GTI-R said:
hmm mines still connjected up with my goose with de-cat. will this be doing any harm or should i just disconnect it.?
Nah thats fine as well by all accounts, I would have reconnected mine after fitting the goose, but it was seized in my original decat so I had to chop it.

paz

T

Toady

but if it senses your cat is getting too hot, then surely it does something to the timing/fueling? its still gonna measure the temp of the mongoose pipe, so surely its still gonna do something? :? mines fitted in my pipe, but then thats what it was like when i bought it.....

geetee

it does nothing apart from lighting up the 'hotdog' light on the dash.

If you can read Japanese, on the sunvisor it advises you not to park over flammable materials whilst this is lit. (e.g. a pile of leaves or a tramp :lol: )

It has no input to the ecu at all - so has no effect on ignition timing or fuelling.

You can safely junk it as many many ppl before have done.

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

T

Toady

oh i see! cheers! ill keep mine in for now then incase of the tramp thing! :lol:

geetee

aye.

Does no harm to keep it.

Most ppl junk it for no other reason than it won't come out of the original CAT in one piece (not surprising after over 10 years of salty winter roads).

Cheers
GeeTee 8)