ebay knock sensor

PulsarLee

Guys,

Still showing code 34...:sad:

When i zero the code, it comes up 55 then after dirving a short distance code 34 comes back. does this show that the wiring seems to be ok but its likely to be the sensor itself?

Just searched SR20det det sensor on ebay and found one advertised brand new for twenty quid.....advert says equivallent to 22060-30P00 KNK3.

does this sound ok.seems cheap

thanks,

Lee

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
It's hard to know - you could check the wiring for continuity.

The sensor sounds OK, but it's a bit hard to tell if it is or isn't until you've got it. The ECU can be a bit funny about them if the resistance is wrong. - For £20 I'd be prepared to give it a try though.

Fire & skill

Vintage member
I had something similar and it was def the engine at fault. It had suffered terrible borewash, I bought it as possibly needing a turbo but it was worse than that. When I drained the oil from the engine it was full of petrol

I purchased one of those ebay sensers, it worked fine. There is a way of checking the knock senser, cant remember what reading you should get. the original one fitted to my R was fine btw, I just replaced it to rule it out - I even ran a new cable back to the ECU

bensmith907

are you sure you don't have a det knock? I was chasing a faulty sensor untill I found out the timing was well out.

PulsarLee

are you sure you don't have a det knock? I was chasing a faulty sensor untill I found out the timing was well out.
Hi,

The timing was well out, it was about 27 BTC when i checked it after rebuilding
I reccon that someone previously had advanced the timing to compensate the det sensor problem

to be honest, since i have set the timing correctly at 20 BTC the car seems flat at low revs and has a bit of a flat spot.

Whats a det knock fella?

All advice welcome

thanks,

lee

bensmith907

Did you check it with the engine warmed up, idle @900rpm and tps sensor disconnected? these are all very impotant because timing advances with revs. there's plenty of how to guides if needed.

im pretty sure that the knock sensor sences ignition before TDC this is called a knock or pre det and there are all sorts of reasons that'll happen including in my case- timing

Last edited:

PulsarLee

thanks for the advice, yep tried all the things u mention..... just need to try a new sensor now. just a pig to get to

cheers,

Lee

nasserkhan123

i had a similar problem with mines once in the past and did some reasearch on the net, there was a site that said silder a resisttor in the wiring and it will bypass the knock sensor. i will try and have a look for it and get back to you.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Yeah, that's a good idea. You definitely don't want to know if the engine is knocking; un-damaged pistons are for losers. :lol:

PulsarLee

Hiya,

Not had time to replace the sensor yet .too bloody cold,lol maybe soon...

Just another question though..how many miles / time period between replacing the rotor arm and dizzy cap? the cap on mine has 2 of the points that are virtually flush to the plastic itself - i know this is the design but looks like you wouldnt get a good spark from it.........

What is the effect of a work dizzy cap or rotor arm? The car starts fine but is just holding back all the time and no 'pop' when throttled off after hard driving.

Thoughts guys?

Cheers