drive shafts /cv joints

A

Anonymous

i think one of my ,either drive shafts or cv joints is on the way out .. the cv boot has had atear for a while and lost its grease ..anyone know a rough price on replacing said part? , is it worth chancing a used unit? ..and most importantly is there any chance of it shearing /seizing on me whilst driving ? cheers in advance

antgtir

If the boot has been ripped for a while you may have run the joint dry of its grease. If this is what has happened then the joint will eventually seize on you or the bearings inside it will break up and you'll hear a horrible drone from the joint.
Im not sure of the price of joints but they arn't cheap i dont think.

If its not been too long then just changing the boot is obviously going to be the cheapest thing to do.

I had to do this on my last pulsar, i did it myself and it only cost me somethin like £10 for the boot, grease etc lol.
It will probably cost more on labour charges if you take it somewhere, if you can do it yourself its easy enough.

Goodluck mate. :wink:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Take it off and see how much play is in it. If there's more than a little bit you might as well change it.

I ran a cv joint dry on my last cas for quite a while :oops: One day while driving down the road, the steering went pear shaped, steering wheel jerking to the left :shock: then it stopped, so I thought time for a new cv joint. When I took it off, the insides were so worn they nearly fell apart :oops:

A

Anonymous

Doesnt the inside of the wheel get covered in oil / grease when the cv boot jont splits or need replacing?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Yeah, it tends to cover the inside of your alloys in grease. Watch it doesn't get on your brake disc tho. :shock:

L

Leighton

I v got used drive shafts if your interested,different ones with ABS.

L

Leighton

I v got used drive shafts if your interested,different ones with ABS.

S

Ste-v-i-r

How much is the OSF cv joint? It started grating on full left lock and is slowly getting worse.

Steve.