Dos and Don'ts

Cathode

Is there a sticky or famous posts where i can find out what are the dos and don'ts for the SR20DET?

Just things like, cheap upgrades or alternative upgrades i.e. Z32 maff
( which i don't know what the benefits are )

Weak points of the engine, anything to look out for.

Any help in the right direction is appreciated.

johnny gtir

It's such a big topic mate. Almost everyone of those questions are answered in topics and the beauty of this forum is it's in sections but if there is anything you can not find feel free to ask

Cathode

It's such a big topic mate. Almost everyone of those questions are answered in topics and the beauty of this forum is it's in sections but if there is anything you can not find feel free to ask
oh o.k. Thinking about it you're right. i'll just have a search around and see what i can find. :nomouth:

johnny gtir

To get you started in simple terms a z32 is a upgrade people fit so the (z32) air flow meter can read more normally a upgrade alongside injectors and more boost and or bigger turbo as require more air coming in to turbo

Don't be put off tho any questions ask away we were all new to these cars at some stage but like I say a lot is there already or we can link you to certain answered to your questions

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
It's worth noting that you can't just whack a Z32 in and start driving. - It requires some kind of tuning to make the ECU recognise it and use the signal.

Obviously if you're sticking a bigger turbo on you'd need to remap anyway.

I think the quickest and cheapest mods are probably suspension and handling related. - Changing the toe-in, putting a stiffer rear ARB (and/or a softer front), different struts or coilovers, adjusting the camber and/or castor.
Marginally upping the boost is also relatively cheap and painless, but if you're going to do it it's worth double checking the fuelling is still OK (either with a wideband or a power run on a Dyno).

As for "don'ts". - Don't mistake the 54c for the same engine as in the Silvia; whilst some parts are interchangeable, many aren't and you can get in to a world of pain trying to install them in an engine they weren't meant for.
Don't forget that it's a twenty-something year old car. ;-)

Cathode

Thanks for these posts!! very helpful. I'm no stranger to modifying Jap cars just that i've never had the SR20DET before so unsure to their strengths and weaknesses. The Pulsar i bought has already been modified, so as you all probably know, without making the modifying journey yourself, it creates uncertainty to what the engine should look like and whats been moved and so on. Starting to notice certain things as to why i have no expansion tank which has been replaced by a water bottle, which would get in the way of the hot side inter-cooler piping for the front mount. Hmmm, does the job but doesn't look great though.

Thanks once again. I can tell this is a great online community that i'm happy to be part of.