does the propshaft have balance weights?

boucherie

Can anyone on here tell me if the standard R propshaft has balance weights on it, if it does, how are they secured to the shaft and is their any likelyhood off them coming off, which would lead to a slight inbalance at certain RPM.

Cheers

Keira

luckily for you i have one in pieces in my spare room :wink:

1.yes it does.

2.they look like they are spot welded on.

3.not likely.

have you taken it off recently ?? can get problems with vibration when you take them off as your supposed to mark them so they go back on as they come off. Could be one of the bearings f o o ked

boucherie

cheers for that kieron,

just needed to check as ive not taken it off but im getting a noise (sounding like something is not centralised) which i thought might have been one of the bearings, but need to rule out all other possibilities first as the bearings are £170 plus vat EACH and id prob need to change both sets to make sure :!: :!: :shock:

boucherie

well ive already had a quote from SE Nissan in chelmsford, as they shotpeened the gearbox etc for the previous owner (he was a regular on this forum), and they have quoted me over £600 inc VAT and fitting, but i need to get the car on a ramp and have a good look underneath to see exactly whats going on under there, cos i dont wana shell out over £600 and still have the problem, id rather pay for a fault diagnosis and then look at the options available. if i did get a 2nd hand prop and bearings, would it be worth getting them strengthened just in case??

Keira

mate.

you could get a second hand prop delivered for well under £100 i would've thought, gary (gtirspares) has them at £50, just make sure its got the bearings, it's about 12 bolts to get the old one off, 4 at the diff, 4 at the transfer box and 2 on each bracket that hold it to the car.

wouldn't worry about strengthening anything, guess you've just been unlucky :( .

£600 is abit :shock:

boucherie

unluckys defineatly the way id describe it as my mate who's a mechanic has told me that he tried to get a price for the bearings from Nissan and they said it will take 6 MONTHS for them to arrive :shock: :? - looks like 2nd hand prop will be the only way to go!

obviously i need to check with a nissan main dealer if this is the case, but it sounds about right, as i very much doubt Nissan UK would have any kicking bout, especially as they dont keep many new car parts on the shelf as it is :roll: , i should know i work for a vehicle fleet management company and spend all day chasing manufacturers for parts :!: :!:

boucherie

yeah there about 170 each then you need to add VAT and fitting, so your lookign at about £600 all in, thats why i might fit a 2nd hand prop for the minute and investigate my prop a bit further