Dirty dirty oil

geetee

Almost immediatelty after changing oil and filter the oil is dirty black again.

I'm suspecting the sump is all sludged up, so I'm thinking about taking it off and giving it a clean up.

Is there a proper gasket on this or is it just an instant gasket effort?

I've never really been a fan of stuff like this but are any of the engine flushes any use?

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
It's instant gasket to put the sump pan back on mate, £20 odd from Nissan.

It's prolly getting black quickly because your engine is old and a little worn, gases leaking down into the crankcase and the carbon from the combustion gases turning the oil black.

I will !00% guarantee you will f*ck your engine if you use an engine flush.

J

jiw

Dont spend £20 on sealer, go to vauxhal and get a tube of sump sealant, the black stuff, works better than anything ive used in the past, about a fiver :wink:

Oil pump aint that bad to remove but tbh their aint that much to sludge up in their :?

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
If your doing regular oil changes you won't have sludge.

Sludge is caused by never changing your oil, basically if you do have slightly worn rings and valve guides (and a 70 - 90,000 mile engine will have) combustion gases will be getting into your crankcase and all the carbon particles mix with the oil, leave this for to long and you get a build up of all the carbon particles, this then forms a sludge.

jonee

r

do you have an oil cooler on your R.

if so make sure it gets emptied as well cause the old oil inside contaminates the new.

jonee

geetee

Cheers guys....

Oil & Filter gets changed every 3 - 4000 miles with fully synth, either Castrol RS 10W-60 or Mob 1 15W - 50 depending what I can get my hands on easiest. I've done this since it was imported in 2002.

I'm fairly sure it's sludged up, literally all I do is fill up the oil, run the engine at idle for a couple of minutes and the oil's dirty.

I guess this doesn't give an exactly happy picture of how it was maintained in Japan before it came over :?

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

zia

more than likely the oil is floating on the mid plate between sump pan and alloy section. this plate will collect most of the crap that's left over combustion gases. oil oxidation,and any carbon particles also it happen to be where dip stick stick's out. fresh oil will dilute with the crap that's on this plate and give that black worn look. nissan sealant is £35 but you get it free if you buy overhaul gasket set. would not advice using instant gasket or hemmerite stuff :wink: . have never used vauxhall sealant so cannot advice if any good.

zia

G

gav

So do you need to take the oil pump off to remove the sump. Mine has the same problem. Doesnt look good when you spend 50 quid on oil and its looks black in 2 mins.

J

jiw

To remove the oil pump you need to remove the following:

Downpipe
2 sumps (steel and alloy one)
Drive belts
possibly the alternator
Oil pickup pipe
Crank pulley
Undo all of the bolts around the oil pump, remember the two on top that go through the cylinder head.
Now remove the oil pump using the necessary force (not too much as it will crack the casing)

When removing and re fitting be careful that you dont damage the head gasket where it seals around the top of the oil pump, if you do it would be best to cut it away from the side of the block and make a new gasket from the correct thickness of jointing paper.

I might of missed something out here as it is a while since i fitted the new pump :oops:

Might be a good idea to replace the water pump whilst your this far too :wink:

J

jiw

well you could look at it like that, the steel one and the alloy one :wink:

J

jiw

remember to take the little inspection hatch off on the gearbox, theirs two nuts in their, easily overlooked lol, took me a while to find them before :oops:

G

gav

So i take it from them instructions the sump comes off before the oil pump so the answer is no you dont need to take the pump off to remove the sump. I think. :? :?

J

jiw

the oil pump is the entire front casing of the engine, the sump is on the bottom.

Can you take your socks off before you take your shoes off :lol:

Shaun

jiw said:
Can you take your socks off before you take your shoes off :lol:
The answer to that is,................YES,if your like Vpulsar and wear Jesus sandals :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: