Det Sensor

PulsarLee

Hi Guys,

Probably a daft question..........

If the car is showing code 34 (this will potentially retard the ignition a couple of degrees), what if I set the car at 22 degrees BTC, would one compensate the other??

reason I ask, is that mine is showing 34 before and after the rebuild (i was hoping that the knackered piston was trigering Det) but obviously its something else..grrrr. Anyway, when I checked the previous timing it was set at about 35 degrees btc and felt more responsive than now that ive adjusted it to the correct 20 degrees btc.

I know i should try a new sensor, and will when i get time only its a swine to get to and im sure ill need to remove the inlet manifold (i know some have done it without but i cant!).

any thoughts on the above guys.

Cheers,

lee

PulsarLee

Thanks ed,

much apreciated. I suspected this would be the case but thought id ask.
If i replace the det sensor and the code still shows what would you suggest is the next step.

Thanks,
Lee

I'd whip the left engine mount off and then lower the engine so you can get to the back. I tried loads of time to do my det sensor in situe and never managed it.... such a bastard to get to....

johnny gtir

Might be obvious to you lee just thought i would repeat it when you fit new sensor remember both to tight will give fause readings as will to slack

Fusion Ed

If you replace the sensor and it still comes up, you need to do a check between the ECU pin and the sensor pin to make sure there is not a break in the cable. Usually its the sensor, but I'm increasingly seeing issues with the engine looms these days.

PulsarLee

Thanks guys,

thinking about it, when i had the head stripped, i did take it off, clean it and put it back on and it was soo tight...i just assumed they had to be tightened like grim death...
just out of interest, how successful is soldering a resistor between the plug wiring. Anyone tried this with long term success?

Thanks