det sensor?

T

Toady

does anybody know what happens to the engine when the det sensor cuts in? i know its supposed to just retard the timing about 1.5 degrees so the 'normal' driver wont really even notice its happened :p , however my problem hits u hard...... at 4.5k revs it feels like the fuel is just cut off..?
the reason im asking this is that ive just done a blink test and it came up with det sensor! any ideas? :?

Keira

Ashills had the same problem i think, cant remember how he sorted it, think it was new det sensor, i know he's moved it to the front of the block not the back..

Do a search in problem solving :wink:

MarkTurbo

Toady said:
does anybody know what happens to the engine when the det sensor cuts in?
It retards the timing a bit and cuts the boost to 0.5 bar :wink:

If the det sensor is working properly and does detect detonation it won't come up with a fault code, you just have to stop and turn the ignition off for a few secs. Once you started the car again it should be back to normal.

Tony

If you run normal unleaded the det sensor sumtimes kicks in!!!! i just sorted it by puttin optimax back in!!!!

Tony....

T

Toady

so basically if the det sensor cuts in it puts it into safe mode?

Keira

YES.....

As you know the det sensor is detecting noises from the engine so there may be a problem somewhere else if its doing its job properly...just changing it may not be the answer...unless of course its fooked...

T

Toady

well if it was working ok then the blink code(fault code) wouldnt come up as dett sensor would it, it would come up with code 55 or watever the normal mode is?

A

andy n

i think the fault code only comes up when the sensor is knackered. the timing thing has a horrible effect on fuel consumption. you can reset by shorting the fault code pins for 3 seconds while its flashing the code but it'll come up as soon as the engine gets warm again and it'll drop back into safe mode.

Keira

Had a look at my manual for you

If you havn't all ready done so i cant suggest enough that you get in touch with stevepudney ( vol 1 ) or andy chan ( vol 2 ) and get them for yourself.

Anyway, toady you have p.m

A

antilag

pretty sure it ent the det sensor causing your problem its more like a violent fuel cut the car drives fine and makes boost untill u get to 4.5rpm and it isnt in limp home mode i would buy an uprated fuel pump get a different ecu plugs leads dizzy cap ect and start trying to eliminate the problem that way

T

Toady

its got a new dizzy cap and arm, plugs, leads. i was tempted into thinking its a fuel pump, but would have thought the symptoms of that being a more gradual power loss. :? ive yet to check another ecu- as im thinking its more a case of knackered ecu as my tacho doesnt work either, sometimes will work at idle, but as soon as my speedo registers speed (only 10mph) it goes haywire! :evil:
strange tho that the blink code comes up with det sensor if its doin its job due to a bad fuel pump-no what i mean? :idea:

A

antilag

changing the fuel pump ect will probably not help but its always gd to upgrade anyway and it narrows the problem down ive been in the car many times and played with stuff trying to sort it i am pretty confident its nothing to do with the det sensor or afm i would swap ecu's and try that first really but i think antony already tried that not sure tho and just cos the leads and plugs and caps are new dnt mean there the correct ones for the car :wink:

T

Toady

antilag said:
just cos the leads and plugs and caps are new dnt mean there the correct ones for the car :wink:
yeah true, he did say that nissan supplied him with the wrong rotor arm!muppets! :lol: im going to check the plugs 2mro (i left my plug socket at work), just need to find someone local to me thats willing to let me try thier ecu! :wink:
following that it'll be a trip to powerstation to get it on their rr and diagnostic machine-then hopefully it will be fixed! :evil: