Dead starter motor

J

J-GTi-R

Has anyone changed their starter motor? A mate's has died (doesn't come on the forum) and he can't get any garage to replace it for him as they reckon it's too big a job.

Is it an engine out job or can it be done engine in? Hiteq reckon it can be done engine in by reaching under the plenum to get to the bracket that holds it in place, but we've both looked at this and are fcuked if we can see how that's done...[8)]

Any help would be appreciated!!

J.

Willing to exhange body parts for tuning bits... my kidney for a new clutch anyone???

ex-gtir

you can do it by just removeing the tranfere box ask olly hes the man for that i find it very difficult he may give you advise
mike

J

J-GTi-R

How diplomatic of you Mike..[;)][:D][:D]

Ok, I'll see if he can help me. If he can't we may employ your engine-out services (so I can see how it's done as much as anything).

Cheers!

J.

Willing to exhange body parts for tuning bits... my kidney for a new clutch anyone???

E

Edd

Pimp was saying at totb that he had to replace his rear water hoses and tool the plenum and throttle bodies off and reckoned you could probably get to the starter motor too.
All depends if you can get all the frames off the back of engine i guess??

3 clutches in 2 months is not good [V]

E

Edd

Your just a show off cos you can remove it with a blindfold and one arm tied behind your back [:p][:p]

3 clutches in 2 months is not good [V]

Websnowbo

You can do the starter with the engine in.

I removed all the pipes, intercooler, airbox, dumpvalve, basically everything
above the gearbox.

Once you've done that you need to remove the plenum brace.

You have to it all from the top as the transfer stop's you doing anything from
underneath.

"Its size that matters, not what you do with it"
Trust me Women are always right!

nickg123

Mine was done by taking all the stuff out from the top, and reaching right down - but it's NOT a nice job, getting all the small pipes back on again is horrible - and doing all those little nuts up.......... Makes me shudder just thinking about it - it's horrible!!!!!!!

www.anythingcars.net - Make All Your Pulsars Dreams Come True [8D]

J

J-GTi-R

quote:Makes me shudder just thinking about it - it's horrible!!!!!!!

Oh... I get the feeling when my mate wants to do it, I'll be, er, away for the week-end...

Cheers for the help though guys!

J.