Dawes device

thehybridsnail

Hi guys,

i have a dawes device on the way! I have looked at the pictures on the how to fit thread, but my pipe from the actuator doesn't go into the inlet as in the picture. It goes under the plenum :/ can anyone shed some light on this?

thehybridsnail

Yes, the pipe of the inlet goes to a t and into the round black thing attached to the pillar. Excuse me as i don't know the name of it. I have a picture but i can't post it from my phone :/

thehybridsnail

Yep that is the one. The pipe from the inlet goes into that. But as i said the picture i have seen the pipe from the inlet is attached to the dawes and then to the actuator. If the pipe is running under the plenum can i still attached the dawes to this pipe?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
The line to the wastgate should go from the end of the plenum with nothing in it bar the boost solenoid. If it's elsewhere then I'm not sure which line it's in, you don't want to be bleeding off fuel pressure for example at the same time as boosting. Put it back to how it should be. You can just about make it out from this very old picture I did.

thehybridsnail

Mine is nothing like that :/ i will have to uploads some pics when i am with my computer. I will post them tomorrow. But as far is can tell you the purple pipe is going straight to the carbon canister. And the pipe from the Actuator goes underneath the purple one. I can't see where it goes :/

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Mine is like the above too:

Port on the bottom of the plenum --> device --> wastegate actuator with nothing else on the line.

The carbon canister is on a different hose from the air box on the underside of the inlet manifold.

thehybridsnail

I think a previous owner had mixed them up, so the pipe under the plenum goes to the actuator and the pipe the it is currently conected to the under side of the inlet goes to the carbon cannister instead of the actuator?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I wouldn't say it's under the plenum, more at the end of. You can see it clearly on Pobody's picture with the dawes device just visible ( I assume it's replaced the factory top mount bracket in that hose which you can still see in my picture in the red circle)

If you look at the link I gave it should show you where the hoses go.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Does this picture help? - I don't have a top mount, so took the opportunity to remove all the associate brackets.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Could you do one that shows the where the lines on the carbon canister go a bit more clearly. (mainly the 2 that go towards the inlet.)

thehybridsnail

The pictures are great, the pipe under the plenum on my car goes to the carbon canister. Not to the actuator. The actuator pipe runs past that under the plenum and i can't see where to exactly. The carbon canister has three pipes on my car, two large ones and a small one at the top. The one at the top goes to the pipe on the plenum that is conected to the dawes in the picture. I have a picture but i cant up load from my phone. Could i facebook it to someone so you can see what i mean? Thanks for all the help at the moment

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
You can't link straight from your desktop, you need to upload it to a site like photobucket or flickr and link from there.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
"This album is private"

I'll see if I've got one of the carbon canister... or failing that take one.

Here's one of the back of the engine: I think the black hose goes to the carbon canister, then one of the smaller hoses goes to that port on the top. - The third line is the breather from the fuel tank.

The idea (as I understand it) is that fuel vapour is pulled through the carbon canister and into the air box when there's enough vacuum to pull the valve open. - I could be wrong; maybe vacuum keeps it closed, and it only opens when there's no pressure difference between them (i.e cruising off-boost).

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Definitely wrong. Does it run/boost OK? Where does the other part of that 3way go to?

Connect your wastegate line to the plenum and replace that 3way with an inline connector.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Definitely wrong. Does it run/boost OK? Where does the other part of that 3way go to?

Connect your wastegate line to the plenum and replace that 3way with an inline connector.