Dash Bulbs

GTIR1000

Can some one point me in the right direction for the little bulbs that go behind our dash and gauges i want to order some of ebay but dont know which ones to get

cheers Jamie

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I cheated and pulled them out of the replacement clocks I bought when I replaced the speedo. ;-)

There's 8 of the smaller bulbs and 5 large ones.. The small ones light up the battery, brake light etc, I would say to get the correct colour led bulb for these, as I stuck in bright white yesterday, now the brake light and battery light are bright purple!! Oops

GTI-R Nath

There's 8 of the smaller bulbs and 5 large ones.. The small ones light up the battery, brake light etc, I would say to get the correct colour led bulb for these, as I stuck in bright white yesterday, now the brake light and battery light are bright purple!! Oops
ok thanks the bulbs you put in are probably blue if your lights are purple lol, i got a set of white LED side light bulbs a while back and they looked more blue than white, even though it said white on packet..

PUL54R

I got some led bulbs from a site called ultimatemods.co.ukFor the speedo illumination you need 501 type bulbs, for the three centre gauges you need t5 wedge bulbsAnd for the switches you need heater wedge bulbs in 3mm

Chris1

I got some led bulbs from a site called ultimatemods.co.ukFor the speedo illumination you need 501 type bulbs, for the three centre gauges you need t5 wedge bulbsAnd for the switches you need heater wedge bulbs in 3mm
Looking to get some of these.
If you can remember, how many of each bulb will I need?

I'd like to order them before taking the dash apart really.

Thanks.

PUL54R

For the main instrument panel you will need 3 501 type bulbs. These are the brown bulb holders, twist them out of the instrument panel and then pull the bulb out of the holder, fit your new bulbs and then refit into the instrument panel. If your using LEDs test they work before you refit everything, as they only work one way round. For the three guages in the centre consol you will need 3 t5 wedge bulbs, fit exactly the same as the instrument panel. Hope this helps.

GTI-R Nath

can any one confirm that the bulbs needed are,

5x 509 bulbs
10x 286 bulbs

just making sure before i buy them, since people are giving different answers about what type of bulb the 5 big bulbs are

Animaldaz

I would say it's 501 not 509. And 286 sounds right too, these are both capless bulbs normally used dash illumination.