Daily driver?

A

Andybtsn

Just wondering who uses their GTi-R as a daily runner?

I do, and it's costing quite a bit, but you can't fault the fun with driving to work every morning.

I am trying to purchase a really cheap runabout just for if the car dies on me one day though.

paz

I did up until the winter, going to try a second car approach this summer and see how it goes. It does cost a lot though, my works a 30mile round trip.

Paz

Fazz

I also do. Work only 2 miles donw the road in traffic as well though so no probs on weekdays!

Thoughts of second car but its always then that a scooby or evo comes up looking for some go and therer you are thinking, My R is at home and would shit you!

G

GTI-R

I've used mine for the last 8 years as a daily driver. Its let me down about 4 times, once fuel pump or leads, 1 headgasket (on the way back from JAE '04, remember that Kev and Pete :D ) and twice to clutch cylinders. Other than that the car has been perfect and starts first time.

In the time I've owned it I've covered about 80K which I think is awesome for the type of car it is...

A

Andybtsn

GTI-R said:
I've used mine for the last 8 years as a daily driver. Its let me down about 4 times, once fuel pump or leads, 1 headgasket (on the way back from JAE '04, remember that Kev and Pete :D ) and twice to clutch cylinders. Other than that the car has been perfect and starts first time.

In the time I've owned it I've covered about 80K which I think is awesome for the type of car it is...
I got 200 miles to £40 this saturday, if you work out you're petrol costs in 80k miles, it works out at about £16k.

Hahahaha!

DAMN...!

G

GTI-R

:lol: don't scare me mate.

Seriously though our fuel prices have only just started to become 'high' as about 4-5 years ago we were paying 33p per litre but now it is around 59p. and has been around the 50-60p range over the last 12 months.

This means that a full tank for me has cost between about £17-£28 during the last few year and no......I don't want an updated figure :lol:

Worth every penny though...

Gray

I use mine as a daily driver but at the moment its not working - wont start after I had an emanage installed an a tuner messing with the fuelling all day
towing it to hiteq who i usually goto on saturday for them to fix it

my work it only a 5 minute walk from my house tho but I usually drive as I'm lazy and have to drop my girlfriend at her work about 2 mile away

this is the second time I have bin without my R since August 05 - first time the clutch fork and release bearing went - god knows what it will be this time

depending on how much more hassle the R gives me between now and June I might have to get rid of it
I go to lanzarote for 2 weeks in june so i'll mull it over on the beach in the sun

pulsar_stu

GTI-R said:
:lol: don't scare me mate.

Seriously though our fuel prices have only just started to become 'high' as about 4-5 years ago we were paying 33p per litre but now it is around 59p. and has been around the 50-60p range over the last 12 months.

This means that a full tank for me has cost between about £17-£28 during the last few year and no......I don't want an updated figure :lol:

Worth every penny though...
Where do you live?? Its 99p a litre here in the westmidlands!!! a full tank of fuel is just over £40! i use mine every day and put atleast £40 in a week!

A

Andybtsn

Well I picked the car up from Scotland, I filled it up at Edinburgh, was 91p/l I think, it's that price around here too (North Yorkshire)

G

GTI-R

Guernsey mate, in the Channel Islands, On average I do £15-20 worth of fuel.

I used to average 10-14K a year when I did some cruising but now I've done about 8K in about 15 months which is mainly work and back and the traditional Sunday afternoon drive around the island a couple of times :lol:

N

Ninja_tune_factory

got to say i use my one every day.
why buy a car like this if you not goin to use it

A

Andybtsn

SickBoy said:
I only bring mine out only to rag it about and have never got more than 80 miles to a tank lol

Lee
Christ! I've got 80 miles to £20 this week, I'm happy, still not empty neither :-D

P

PF

Use mine every day and its never let me down. Clutch and slave cylinder have been the only two things that have needed doing in three years of ownership. On average I do about 160 miles a week and apart from the racket that comes out of the exhaust its great.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
SickBoy said:
I only bring mine out only to rag it about
That’s kind of my philosophy, but its in the garage waiting for parts:cry:

There again nothing beats and "blast" to work on my bike*...

*pushbike

Only really take mine out in the dry and don't use it everyday. Use a Citroen zx diesel for everyday use but it gets frustrating sometimes when someone p's you off and you don't have the power to waste them. It does feel a lot more special when i do use it as you don't get used to the performance as much and it keeps the excitement there.

O

Odin

I used mine for work everyday for 2 years with no problems at all, I took if off the road to rebuild my quaife box and fit a new clutch after 36k of hard use:twisted: .

Now after a 16 month refurb it hardly ever gets used:oops: , Mind you I'm still having a few problem getting it to run perfect after fitting the new turbo and injectors, I've just bought a new Apexi boost controller which should cure the over boosting problem 8) :-D .

I've seen from 90 miles to 300 miles per tank all depending on how I drive the thing :twisted: .

Rob

marcus_g

use mine everyday work on site and it's a nightmare when i gotta go on 100mile round trips if work ain't a grin the drive to and from is