D2 spring change

CruiseGTi-R

I'm using the D2 coilovers. I want to change the springs as I think they're way to hard for the road.

Has anyone done this on the D2's?

What spring rates do they use now and what should I change them too?

Lastly, who would sell springs that fit?

Otherwise I'm going to buy different coilovers, they're stupidly hard.

Cheers

Toby

eastwood

Im not sure on the standard rates but they should just be 2 1/4 ID coilovers the same as mine and you can by these spring from most places just do a search on 2 1/4" springs.

splmum

I use D2's in Australia on cattle tracks they call roads and mine are rated:

Front Rear
I.D.65 I.D.70
7.5 / 420 / 300 5.1 / 285 / 300
(kg/mm - lbs/in - mm)

so
Front 420 pound
Rear 285 pound

Sure they are a bit harsh, but they don't wollow or rock about either.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Hello Toby, back from the UAE again?

Youngsyp did this and ended up with Front 5.3Kg/m and rear 4kg/m, he was happy with the results. I run 5/4 on my tein as that is all they offer (4,5,6 etc nothing in between)

Its a cheap fix as you move your rears to the front and buy 2 springs for the rear for about £60.

CruiseGTi-R

I'm in Dubai still, with the car still at BPC near Bath in the UK. They're doing a great job, the car is back on the road after 3 years and a pretty trick engine rebuild. Its just doing its run-in mileage now, have some good plans ahead...

I found the threads from Youngsyp, its the perfect info. I tried to pm him, but full inbox.

I need to know where to buy from (Impulse Performance seem to have gone under?).

Also, Youngsyp said he had his damping matched to suit? I can't really do this, so will this work?

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Still in Dubai, you must have a hell of a sun tan by now!
Tweeks probably have what you need.

I think Paul bought an Evo, I'm sure I saw the same username on the MLR.

I expect Paul just got the standard dampers which will just about work on the reduced spring rate.

CruiseGTi-R

Ha, nah, stay indoors, too hot.

Can someone confirm the spec?

I think both front and back are 2.5” internal diameter, 8” free length.

But that differs from splmum's post?

splmum

Ha, nah, stay indoors, too hot.

Can someone confirm the spec?

I think both front and back are 2.5” internal diameter, 8” free length.

But that differs from splmum's post?
I can't find the source of the data but I can also tell you that the pillow ball mount plates on the front will only accept a coil with 65mm ID. Part of the reason for not being able to safely replace the rear springs onto the front assembly.

CruiseGTi-R

65mm is 2.56inch, so thats fine, but you're saying the rears are bigger ID and therefore can't safely be fitted onto the front coilover units?

youngsyp

Holy post revival Batman....

I just saw an email in my private email account about my mailbox being full over here. It's now empty.

Just to confirm Jim's posts, I went for the 5Kg/mm front and 4Kg/mm rear springs. That's what I ordered when I bought them but, they turned up with 5Kg/mm front and rear. I also asked for the damper valving to suit the new spring rates but, I'm guessing that didn't happen either. For reference, I ran around 5 clicks from softest front and 3 clicks from softest rear.

To sort out the suppliers cock up, I ordered a pair of 4Kg/mm springs from Apex Performance.

If you need a pair of 5Kg/mm springs, I have a brand new set in the loft still.

With regards to spring free length, that will depend on the spring rate. The lower the spring rate, the shorter the spring.

If you need any more info, let me know.

Paul

youngsyp

Are you sure :p

Hows tricks man?

Yer old girl is still being looked after :)
Hey mate,

I thought I had a pair up there... Did I give the spare pair to you with the car?

Glad the car's still going well and I'm glad it's getting used. I've driven mine about 6 miles this weekend!

Have you done much to it since the engine build?

Paul

Yeah i have the nice shiney springs :p

Engine developed the low oil pressure syndrome.
So its just had a total overhaul again and been running in as wee speak. Done 250 miles, so goes to get mapped on saturday for 1 Bar then run it at that till i decide what turbo to go for. As the T28 turbo dynamics on it the now is starting to squeel its head in :)

So gives me time to decide wether 2871r or a 3071.

The pulsar hasnt moved all weekend been running a friends R33 GTR all weekend after fitting a clutch to it.
Awesome car, been thinking about upgrading for a while. As everyone has evo`s now, so something different.

Will get ya on PM Buddy save spamming the mans post :)