cylinder head modification price

rich1216

Depends where you go I just spent about 3 grand doing my head and that was only cut for standard valves

vpulsar

as title how much will it cost for a fully ported modified head with larger vales etc.
I had Agra Engineering port my head for £500 but that was 5 years ago now, I think you can spend a small fortune of having heads built properly. Personally for a road car I don't think anything other than a little clean up is warranted, But for a race car the sky's the limit mate.

kirko

ive got a head with someone (A TUNER) at the moment, he wants £1270 but the original price was a few hundred quid cheaper... I supplied the head and the valve springs, after saying it was all done and dusted and ready for collection I asked him to confirm the supertech springs were fitted he then claimed the inner springs were wrong so he put the price up (about the same as buying a set of springs which I think weren't originally fitted) but its been there two years its my fault for the last year but the first year I never heard from them
so its a year all in my book, he has raised the price recently claiming he had sold it as I hadn't got in touch,
but then he reimbursed them when I contacted him, so I just think he is taking the p**s a bit with raising the price!

vpulsar

ive got a head with someone (A TUNER) at the moment, he wants £1270 but the original price was a few hundred quid cheaper... I supplied the head and the valve springs, after saying it was all done and dusted and ready for collection I asked him to confirm the supertech springs were fitted he then claimed the inner springs were wrong so he put the price up (about the same as buying a set of springs which I think weren't originally fitted) but its been there two years its my fault for the last year but the first year I never heard from them
so its a year all in my book, he has raised the price recently claiming he had sold it as I hadn't got in touch,
but then he reimbursed them when I contacted him, so I just think he is taking the p**s a bit with raising the price!
Sounds like your typical tuner mate I wouldn't go near one, You should of had an engineering place do it, Of or get that CNC heads mob to do it properly and empty your wallet lol, What are you planning to use the car for mate ?. If it's just a road car then cut you loses and buy one from one of the forum members I know of one maybe two that are maybe coming up for sale.

Slunch

I'd go down and check it all over, if it isn't perfect or he hasn't got all original and new parts to hand you could make his life quite difficult. Small claims court........ And as Makaveli says name and shame.

Jon Olds

There's porting, then there's the price of the parts. 16 off valves is 200-250. Spring 100 minimum, Guides 100. Seats 300. etc
And its very labour consuming.
When comparing prices, you need to know what you are paying for....
Jon

vpulsar

There's porting, then there's the price of the parts. 16 off valves is 200-250. Spring 100 minimum, Guides 100. Seats 300. etc
And its very labour consuming.
When comparing prices, you need to know what you are paying for....
Jon
You'd be very unlucky to need new valves and seats unless you where wanting bigger valves, My head was ported I also had bronze guides fitted that I supplied and a 3 angle job done on the seats and that was £500 but every places charges differently, But as has been said you can spend thousands building a race head but that isn't necessary for a road car. Even if you do track day you're not really racing anybody other than yourself and you can't go flat out anyway due to others on track so I think people need to be realistic and not waste money doing things that will really be of no benefit to them in there everyday use of the car it's just pub bragging rights, These cars are expensive enough as it is.

Rob

kirko

You'd be very unlucky to need new valves and seats unless you where wanting bigger valves, My head was ported I also had bronze guides fitted that I supplied and a 3 angle job done on the seats and that was £500 but every places charges differently, But as has been said you can spend thousands building a race head but that isn't necessary for a road car. Even if you do track day you're not really racing anybody other than yourself and you can't go flat out anyway due to others on track so I think people need to be realistic and not waste money doing things that will really be of no benefit to them in there everyday use of the car it's just pub bragging rights, These cars are expensive enough as it is.

Rob
I agree unless you are regularly racing there is no point going mad, I only wants to uprate mine because it kept throwing rockers on launch control so I got some supertech springs and decided while it was out to get it modified,

red reading

There is prob five people access able to the public in the uk that are worth there salt on cylinder heads, to do them properly anyway, and most of them build bike engines for top race teams which means they have to know what they are doing as bike tuning is a lot more pernickety than cars due to the fact you need feel as well as power.

Slunch

I was thinking of hand lapping the valves and swopping out the seals, springs, retainers and reshimming with feeler gauge if needed. If the guides were iffy I'd have to get some new ones. I don't have big power plans so I wasn't thinking of porting. bigger cam maybe.

red reading

I was thinking of hand lapping the valves and swopping out the seals, springs, retainers and reshimming with feeler gauge if needed. If the guides were iffy I'd have to get some new ones. I don't have big power plans so I wasn't thinking of porting. bigger cam maybe.

If you don't know what you are doing be careful.....and do bloody not use the feeler gauges bits to increase the shim thickness or use thicker shims on the rocker posts.

Slunch

I was planning on getting a "spare" head and taking time over it, lapping looks ok the retainers look interesting and terminal if it goes wrong. Can you still get shims or get them made up?

Slunch

Good to know, I'll probably wimp out on the retainers when I get to it and bring it up to you anyway. If you'll take it on.