Cv joint rubber burst

R

Reason

Hey guys, just had the car in the air to bleed the rear brakes, i asked the mechanic to have a root about for any up and coming probs. He said well you got grease all over the shop on the front passanger side... The rubber has ripped..

I bought a new one £10

Is it easy to replace?

Also what would happen if i keep using the car on short journeys til its fixed?

Rob

C

Chase

my front offside has been riped for about a month, done approx 1000 miles with it like that. getting mine replaced next week

stumo

I'll probibly get flamed for this but you're best getting genuine CV boots, yes they are expensive compared to non-genuine but they actually fit and don't come off or split.

If you drive round with a split in it or it comes off the cv joint then you'll need another CV joint pretty quickly.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
It's pretty easy to replace. You need to crack the driveshaft nut (and wheel nuts)off with the cars' weight on the ground, and then when it's jacked up, remove the wheel, driveshaft nut and you can probably get away with the track rod end and suspension bottom bolts removing. You should be able to remove the cv joint from the hub with not too much effort at this point. With the cvjoint out you can undo the clips (or whatever) on the old boot and carefully knock the cv joint off the shaft( I held onto the shaft, pushing it in towards the gearbox to avoid pulling it out) Then with the cv joint off, remove the old boot, fill the cv joint with the new grease, slid the new boot onto the shaft over the retaining clip. and knock the joint back on as far as the retaining clip, make sure the retaining clip on the shaft is central in the groove so the joint will go over it properly and not jam and knock the joint home. Do the boot up and put your car back together.