cutting the bumper bar...

boucherie

im in the process of fitting a front mount, and wondering just how much of the bumper bar i need to cut out. do i need to only cut out the centre bit along with the bumper cutout, or can i get away with not fitting the bumper bar at all?

boucherie

its a universal fit one core size is 600*300*75, so far ive got the mounting brackets on, just waiting for the hoses and looking at whether i can run a pipe run without cutting loadsa holes everywhere!

J

jiw

Dooie Pop Pop said:
what kind of fmic is it? i ended up cutting the thing into 3 pieces and discarding the middle :roll: :lol:
How come you ended up doing that Stu? i only had to tickle mine with the grinder to give enough clearence :?

Dooie Pop Pop

jiw said:
Dooie Pop Pop said:
what kind of fmic is it? i ended up cutting the thing into 3 pieces and discarding the middle :roll: :lol:
How come you ended up doing that Stu? i only had to tickle mine with the grinder to give enough clearence :?
i did try it like that too but after marrying it up in my deranged state i thought to myself...

once cut the bar will/may be weaker in that area, so if i nudged the front a bit or someone nudges it for me it might fold into the ic and break it :( not good.

sooo i cut the middle out altogether :mrgreen: must have saved me over a kg out front too :lol: :roll:

boucherie

just out of interest, how 'wobbly' is the front bumper without the bumper bar in place, and can i route the pipe run through the 'hole' that goes into the o/s wheel arch?

C

chrislloydus

the bumper bar does reinforce the bumper quite a bit, and the bumper does sit on it to a degree.
It all depends on how you want to mount the cooler doesnt it ? And we cant tell you that :D If you want to bolt the top of the cooler to something solid, then only cut the bottom of the bar out, leaving the top of the bar to bolt to.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
If it's an intercooler you have to cut the front bumper for as well, then cut the brace bar to clear the opening in the front bumper at the least, or you'll end up with unsightly cut off ends in view. ( :oops: )

J

jiw

cutting 10mm max out of the bar wont make that much difference stu, dont do things by half over their do you :lol:

c20ona

I removed the center section of the bumper bar for my intercooler (nd2), leaving the two end pieces in place and the bumper sits fine. The only downfall with this i think, is that the front end integrity could be compromised a little. But this is how Norris recommend the conversion themselves and heard no bad results as yet.

Regards

Kenny

Gray

I'll be fitting a front mount this weekend hopefully so it looks like cutting out the middle is the easiest option. What did you guys use to cut it?
Do the two pieces of bumper bar left not get in the way of the pipe run?

geoff pine

pipes are at bottom of the bumper if its a hybrid type just need to lose the brake ducts . if its a hybrid you should get instructions with it.

Gray

brake ducts are gone already
yeah its a hybrid kit

what about washer bottle and battery? i got no air con.

Dooie Pop Pop

Gray said:
I'll be fitting a front mount this weekend hopefully so it looks like cutting out the middle is the easiest option. What did you guys use to cut it?
Do the two pieces of bumper bar left not get in the way of the pipe run?
lol

you dont need to butcher the bar if your using a hybrid style fmic. iirc you have to hang the ic off ot but im probably wrong.

DONT try and cut it out with a dremmel like that plonker Jimmy did :shock: :roll: :lol: and if you' ve never used a grinder before nows a good time to learn :wink: dont forget your ppe i dont want you blaming me if you end up blind :roll:

Gray

Think im just going to cut out the bottom section and hang it off the top of the bumper bar. I'll have to find someone with an angle grinder
then ill blag them to do it for me haha

Dooie Pop Pop

as you can see from the cut off section. retaining the entire bumper bar with the Norris designs stage2 kit is a bit difficult :lol: