Cutting out when warm

Escy

I've had my engine apart (headgasket). Now, when I start it up, it idles ok, I can rev it, etc. After 5 minutes of it idling and the engine has warmed up, the revs drop low, it won't rev and will eventually cut out. Anyone have any ideas what could cause this?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Faulty IAC? Running when the valve is open, but not when it closes? - Was the idle speed etc set when the engine was cold?

Faulty engine temperature sender?

There is a diagnostic procedure in the service manual; if I remember when I get home from work I'll see if I can find the link.

Escy

It'd be good if you could mate.

I haven't adjusted the idle speed since it's been apart.

One thing I probably should mention is that when I timed the engine up using HKS adjustable pulley's, I noticed the previous person who'd worked on the car had timed both pulley's up to be adjusted all the way anti clockwise. I thought maybe they were a tooth out at the crank and they used this to compensate. I've re-set them to 0, same as the standard pulleys. I don't think this has anything to do with it as the engine runs lovely when cold, rev's cleanly, idles well, etc.

Escy

I think it's the alternator not charging. I've been jump starting it as the battery on it is flat (that could be knackered also), when it started to die off I re-connected the battery and it picked back up. I've got a spare alternator so will throw that on, fingers crossed.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Try this page, but if it's running out of power that would explain it.

That procedure seems to be:
  1. Check injectors are working.
  2. Check you've got spark.
  3. Check the fuel pressure.

Escy

Thanks for that. I've fitted my spare alternator, it's still not charging. Both are showing 12v with the engine running.

pulsarmoley

If its still not charging make sure you have an ignition live to the alternator as without battery voltage to the alternator it wont start charging.

Escy

I've just noticed that if you start it up and let it idle, it shows 12v, if you give it a rev it suddenly picks up and then it's giving 14v at idle. I think the alternator(s) is fine after all. I'm thinking the battery on it is goosed. I charged it for 3 hours on a fast charge and it didn't even manage to start the car.

I'll try another battery on it tomorrow and see how it is.