CRISIS! Oil feed leaking!

Matt Evans

Could someone please shed light on sorting a major nightmare out?

I just recently changed the turbo on my 'R' and when I finally started the car I noticed the oil feed pipe to the turbo, on the engine block side, was leaking. I tried to tighten it and the threads on the bolt shredded and now its p*ssing oil out and is undrivable! : (

Anyone know how I can sort this, I'm desperate to get it done asap?

kirko

do you mean the banjo bolt with the copper washers ?

if so these are really easy to cross thread and if you have stripped the threads then it is quite serious:shock:
you maybe lucky and just be able to source a tap with the right thread pitch
and clean up the threads:?

or it might need helicoiling:shock:

either way theres a risk of swarf getting into the oil gallery and its gonna be tricky:cry:

Matt Evans

Oh crap, thats exactly what I mean!

I guess I'm up shite creek!?!

Any suggestions from anyone, on where to begin, best way about it etc, e.g. avoiding the swarf in the oil gallery issue?

Mr GTiR

I did the same thing on my first turbo and engine.

I had to call a bloke out who had his own engineering company and repaired the damage for me. I think it cost me £50.

All I can suggest is ring round some local engineering firms and see if someone will come out to you?

Matt Evans

Hmm, good idea. There's an engineering firm thats contratced where I work, and their based just a couple of miles from where I live.

Did you have to strip the turbo, manifold, etc off first, or was he able to get at it from underneath?

O

Odin

You will need to strip it all off if you going to try and get someone to come out and fix it, It's only about two hours work to get it all stripped out.

This will make you a bit more careful when you try and put it back together wont it matey, Remember if you can't do the two banjo's up with your fingers then their not right and you need to take them out and start again.

This is what happens when someone who know f*ck all about these car's is let lose on one, So everybody reading this take note.

Rob

kirko

i think he will have learnt his lesson now rob:lol:

whenever i do mine im paranoid about cross threading them because i know
what sort of a job it is :?

i still use the rigid pipes which makes it harder too:doh:

O

Odin

kirko said:
i think he will have learnt his lesson now rob:lol:

whenever i do mine im paranoid about cross threading them because i know
what sort of a job it is :?

i still use the rigid pipes which makes it harder too:doh:

Me to it one of the job's I don't like at all, I've just bought new braided water and oil lines to replace mine next time I take them off ;-) .

Rob

Matt Evans

Thanks for the replies everyone.

However I do disagree with the 'knows f*ck all about these cars' comment!
I've I've had the engine out to change the clutch fork, fitted my own fmic, and fitted the new turbo(albeit crossing threading a bolt while doing it!),plus many other jobs and mods. The crossed bolt was all that went wrong. O.k. the purpose and place of where the bolt is fixed makes it a crucial component, but like others have said, this can be very easily done. But one thing is for sure, I won't be making this mistake again! : ) I've already saved the money for getting the job done by doing my own work on the car instead of taking it to some crook garage, so in fact I recommend people to do as much of their own work as they can. More people will learn about the car and that can't be a bad thing now can it?

Once again, thanks all, I'll keep you updated on the progress.

O

Odin

Well you didn't learn a lot mate if you made such a stupid mistake did you, If you can't find someone to come out and fix this problem your going to have to strip the engine down.......... I don't think I'd like to have it fixed in situ anyway, How the hell can they stop the swaff getting into the oil gallery. Mrgtir is on his 3rd engine rebuild maybe this is one of the reason's why.

Maybe they just turn the engine over with the pipe off in the vane hope that all the metal bits get blasted out with the oil.

Good luck with it fella.

Rob

Matt Evans

Erm, how was I supposed to learn before I made the mistake? You learn from mistakes! NOW my lesson is learned and I know it won't happen again. Do you mean to tell me that you've never made a single mistake while working on your car? I think not.

Listen dude, you're obviously a very knowledgable guy when it comes to these cars, but there's really no need to shoot people down in flames just because they know less than you do. I come on here to get friendly helpful advice, not to be shunned on because of my 'inferior' 'R' wisdom! : ) Maybe there should be a slagging off section where people can be obnoxious all day long?!

Oh well, this 'one bar mong' is outta here! I'll let you all know what the outcome is.

Dooie Pop Pop

good luck with the fix Matt, we ALL make mistakes fella and **** knows iv made more than a few myself:doh: :lol:

I think ThunderGod is trying to get himself banned for being an obnoxious twat:-D

Matt Evans

Thanks Dooie, maybe he was in a bad mood or something?

I'd like to know where he got a flexy oil feed pipe from though. I'tll make it a hell of a lot easier for me when I finally get to put it back together.

O

Odin

Matt Evans said:
Thanks Dooie, maybe he was in a bad mood or something?

I'd like to know where he got a flexy oil feed pipe from though. Ill make it a hell of a lot easier for me when I finally get to put it back together.
I'm never in a bad mood I'm just plane nasty :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

The reason I came down hard on you Matt is that there has been loads written about this problem on the forum already, So if you've been around for a while like you say then surely you would of read something about it earlier ;-) .

But its done now and the most important thing is that no one else makes the same mistake, So maybe me beating you over the head about it will stick in another member's head ;-) and they wont do as you did 8) .

Oil line's can be got from any hose supplier mate, You just need to give them your old one's and ask them to make copy's in braided for you, Mine are a lot longer than standard because I may want to top mount the turbo at a later date, Also I had the water hose made up with a rotating joint to ease fitting ;-)

Rob

Matt Evans

Ok Thunder, fair enough. Maybe I was a bit lazy and I should've read up more before I started the job, plus the fact that I was seriously rushed defintitely didn't help matters either.

Once again, thanks all for the replies, and hopefully it'll be sorted soon then off to Powerstation for a tune! : )

kirko

im not saying yours will but ive seen these rotating joints leak:?

it was probably down to a dodgy supplier but it did put me off what appears to be a good idea :sad:

Matt Evans

O.k. I've stripped the turbo, mani, etc off the car now, and I've had a good look at the bolt cavity for the oil feed pipe. As expected the threads were toast! But only half way down the cavity, the threads further in were ok. I did some quick measurements, and with the banjo in between the bolt and the hole, the bolt only reaches about halfway into the cavity.

With this in mind, will it be possible to get another bolt of the same diameter and thread, but longer, so it reaches the threads near the back of the cavity? There seems to be as much good thread at the rear of the cavity as the original bolt was actually using in the first place, so a longer bolt could instantly sort this, right?

Btw, the hollow bolt and the cavity were both full of shrapnel from the w*nked threads, but I made sure every single bit of it was removed. ; )

Last edited:

kirko

Matt Evans said:
will it be possible to get another bolt of the same diameter and thread, but longer, so it reaches the threads near the back of the cavity? There seems to be as much good thread at the rear of the cavity as the original bolt was actually using in the first place, so a longer bolt could instantly sort this, right?

that wont work buddy:roll:

all that will happen is the first few bad threads will wreck the threads on the new bolt:cry: apart from which i doubt you will get a banjo bolt any longer that is the right size etc.

i would go buy a tap to clean up the first bad threads to be honest just renewing the threads shouldnt make much debris at all :p
are you due for an oil change? might be a good idea;-)

hope it works out for you buddy

Matt Evans

Hi dude! The thing is, the threads at the opening to the cavity are completely gone!!! I can pretty much push the bolt in until it reaches the whole threads which are further in, and are not damaged because the bolt has never reached them. The only problem now is, like you said, getting hold of a longer bolt.

Last edited:

Matt Evans

Hang on, maybe I could get a standard solid bolt, and get an engineer to modify it for me?! He'd only have to take the dimensions from the holes on the original bolt, then drill through the longer bolt so its an exact match, but longer! : )

Last edited: