Crankshaft in gc

CARLGTIR

Hello after the above as I'm having troubles with 1 thats needs to be ground :doh: , has to be in perfect working order!

Mr GTiR

I've got a crank but it will need a regrind. Took it out of an engine which had spun a bearing, but major. Make me an offer for it.

CARLGTIR

Yeah Paul, that is what I would of liked to have done but the engineer doesn't know what to grind it to because apparently the sizes aren't like any he seen b4?

He needs to know the size of the standard shells but as I dont have any and Nissan aren't letting on I cant tell him.

So i thought to just get 1 in good working order so I dont have to worry about having it ground, if anybody knows what the standard sizes are then that would be touch! But hey it would be alot easier to get 1 that dont need a re-grind, cheers n e way Mr GTiR

PaulB

a quick look in a catalogue should tell him what it needs.

Get yourself round to a proper crank regrind place, theyl do the work and supply the bearings.

If you need some advice, ask these lads.. CRANK PEOPLE

These lads done mine, top job too :thumbsu:

PaulB

they could be bob !!

Just out of interest, were you planning on running that shot peened std box with 450bhp if mics quaife hadnt come up for sale?
How confident would you have been with it?

P

pulsarboby

lol i wouldnt have been confident at all paul.
it would have torn apart when under extreme load, and i would have been forever replacing boxes.

i was gonna try to treat it very gingerly on track, but in all fairness once your out there, adrenaline starts flowing and a target is looming in front of you, the horns appear out your helmet and the aggressive devil takes over your driving, and thats when 'il treat those gears with respect' goes right out the window:lol:

didnt want all that shite so hence the quaiffe (but even there far from unbreakable)
but i have a cunning plan to make it even stronger;-)

PaulB

ah right, I just done a trackday at knockhill in mine and done five 10minute runs, had a hoot. I gave the engine and box some right beans, altho it was always in the back of my mind, really wanted the box off mic but just a bit short of funds, its a lot of dollar !!

Do you think the quaife would comfortably (ish) take 450bhp with an organic clutch. Id be gutted if a quaife blew up on me like :cry:

Whats ya grand plan then ? Ive never seen inside a pulsar box, re the quaife gears huge in comparison to std?

P

pulsarboby

yeah it is hard to justify 2k for a gearbox, but power and reliability costs money, theres no shortcuts unfortunately.
my mrs knows how much it cost for that box, so ive gotta work a bit harder to get the dosh for our holiday now or the brown stuff will hit the fan:lol:

i like davey's style from up your neck of the woods (only cost him £300 for his:-D 8) )

its only that my car will be raced that i bought it as i cant afford to keep breaking down on track with gearbox failiures, it works out more expensive in the longrun with race entry fees, tyres and getting there, all going up the swanny because of possible breakdowns on track.
and it does not look good for me or the car:oops:

hopefully i will have the car up n running again in a month, so i may pop up your way possibly cadwell again to test car and set it up, be good if you can make it!

as far as i know the quaiffe set are a slightly higher ratio than standard, so you lose out on top end a little, and i believe the gears are semi helical which obviously makes them a lot stronger, but also noisier!
ideally i would have liked a ppg dogbox but i just cant afford one of those, so will have to make do with the quaiffe and see how the land lies.

if your just doing trackdays paul then i would just stick to a standard box if i were you, and when it eventually breaks, just stick another one in.
you maybe lucky and it may last for ages!

at 450bhp i would run a paddle clutch, dont think an organic one will be man enough for the job

O

Odin

The first four quaife gears are closer together and 5th is the same ratio as standard.

I think a quaife box will last for ever on track, I've never seen the gear set itself break. Just the casing and you'd only really do that by dragging.

Rob

Rob

PaulB

Yeah, youve gotta keep the gtirs lookin good on track, which it wouldnt if it kept breaking down.

Im running an RPS Street Max clutch, and there rated to 475lb/ft, which is more than what 450bhp will produce, so im gonna go with it.

Id like to up the boost a bit more and get 450bhp out of what I have, but I aint got the dollar for a box. Once Ive got it to one side, Il probs get the remap and take it from there.

Cadwell Park is down in lincolnshire isnt it? Think I passed it on my way to Skegness when I went to collect those seats. Whats it like as a track compared to Knockhill?

P

pulsarboby

yeah i think your organic rps should be ok unkess you start launching the car, thats when clutches are torn apart!

your right cadwell is nr skegness and its one of my favourite tracks in the country, it has 2 fairly long straights, a mountain where you can get airborn (both wheels on a bike):lol:
has some tight twisty bits and drawn out bends, a bit of everything really!
its only downside is that its a very narrow track and quite dangerous if you make a rickett, as theres not any runoff in a lot of places. and in the wet it can get very slippery 'especially through the wooded area'
but when you get it right it will put a big beaming smile on your face:-D its ideal for small cars like the R, skylines etc will struggle round there!

P

pulsarboby

no not yet paul, will wait till the cars up and running again, but beginning of august time looks favourite.
i normally stop there over night as its a 4 hour drive from me