Could a dodgy det sensor and overboosting be linked?

paz

Just a question to help me decide where to go next.

The car is currently overboosting when on high and low boost setting on a greddy profec b spec-2, both settings seem to be boosting to around the same level. On standard boost i.e. with the controller turned off it appears to be fine.

Recently, I replaced the det sensor as I was getting a fault code. Is there any chance that this could cause overboosting i.e. if the ignition was retarded before it was mapped and I didn't notice (and no longer is) or are the two completely unrelated?

If thats the case, I guess I need to be looking at the controller itself i.e. is it still working, or getting a remap?

Cheers

Paz

Jon Olds

I would check all the wiring and sensors on the controller, especially the boost measurement line/filter

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
How old is it? Is there a chance the solenoid/motor is knackered and the unit just can't control it any more? - That's what happened to my EVC III; the solenoid started sticking and it couldn't control the boost.

t16coupe

i had a profec b spec 2 and had the same problem when set to 0 it was actuator level but any increase and the boost would go sky high the solenoid was broke changed to a gizzmo ms ibc and its been fine since

paz

I'd say its been on the car about 5 years, any idea what the life of these units is?

Is it worth replacing the solenoid or just getting a new unit of one type of another?

Paz

geoff pine

I'd say its been on the car about 5 years, any idea what the life of these units is?

Is it worth replacing the solenoid or just getting a new unit of one type of another?

Paz
Where did you buy the b 2 from as given the problems you have had with it leads me to believe it,s not a genuine one as I had this same unit for around 7 years and had no problems with it .Once it was fitted and set up by TDI north even thought the car was off the road for nearly 3 years it has not lost its settings
it's all ways worked as it should with no problems Ilooks like you need to invest in a new one .

paz

It was on the car when I got it, seems like the genuine article as I've had no problems with it previously and has all the manuals etc - think it came from a tuner IIRC. I'll check all the lines etc but yeah I think it might be time for something new.

Paz