corner weights.

dencon

Just spent a few hours today trying to fine tune my steering and suspension set up. Done 4 events so far with 3 class wins and a second, but always looking for a bit more. Put car on corner weights and was suprised to find that the right hand side is much heavier than the left. This is of course without driver. It seems to me that this car would be much better balanced if it was left hand drive. Has anyone seen a lhd gtir?. Next winters Job??. den.

vss irvine

if you were to fit a floor mounted pedal box, the lhd conversion wouldnt be that hard, plus you could mount the seat alot lower on that side.

ive been looking at converting the green car to lhd as its drag use only. lhd steering racks are available.

i have a contact who is a nissan dealer in sweden and he can source them if required.

RO_SUNNY

Irvine I wouldn't agree to what you just said.
It was a real pain in the ass with converting the Sunny.

A few item which you need to have in mind:
-the bulkhead between the habitacle and the engine needs to be replaced for a lhd one (reasons: you need heater, steering column passing, etc etc)
-the entire wiring needs to be cut and prolonged from rh to the lh (because all the wiring goes on the right side)
-some of the wiring from the engine needs to bbe prolonged
-abs pump needs to be relocated on the right side
-you need to modify the pannel which holds the screen wipers.........

We can go like this for hours with this conversion :))))))

And now to be on topic......

I think that the car is heavier on the right side because of the engine which sits really close to the right side (left side is the gearbox which is lighter), also the floor of the car has some extra reinforcements on the right side......

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Dencon, what does your car weigh? You could always strip it down and then add back the weight to specific areas to balance it out abit better.

dencon

My car weight with fuel 1072kgs. I have no heater or air con, and I have no ABS. I don,t think the wiring would be too much trouble as most has been cut out.
The servo would take a fair bit of room. If a LHD rack is available this would be a great help. Anyway many thanks for all above ideas, I will see what the rest of the hill climbing season brings. Two events this weekend at Wiscombe Park. cheers den.

vss irvine

Irvine I wouldn't agree to what you just said.
It was a real pain in the ass with converting the Sunny.
if you take into consideration that dens car is for race use, and our car would be for drag use then why would it be so hard to convert?

the reason your car was so hard to do is because your moving so many parts over, (road car)

Last edited by a moderator:

pulsar kid

Could you not buy a lhd sunny and transfer all the gtir parts over?
i dont know if a sunny shell is the same as ours tho just a punt.

RO_SUNNY

Again I coming back to this.....

I converted my GTIR using a GTI lhd Sunny.

Imagine that you need to cut and realign all the electrics in the car.....it's true what you are saying....but I am also building an drag race GTIR.....so the only thing that it remains in the car is the heater.

All the bracketry from the engine was removed, the inside unusefull brackets removed, etc.

So it's still a pain in the ass.

But.....when you make up your mind about converting it to lhs please let me know because I can help you alot (I think so)

Regards,
Bogdan