Coolant temperature sensor location??

Hello, as above please, just wondering exactly were its located as I think I've got either a loose connection or dodgy sensor as when I'm hitting bumps or revving engine, the temp sensor on dash keeps flicking back down to cold an then back up again!
Thanks Chris.

Gtirchris

Hey buddy, the temp sensor is in the water housing on the back of the cylinder head, if you look in the general area of the power steering pump and then look above it you will see it, there are two sensors in the housing, the one with the single wire and flat push- on type connector is the one for the gauge, the other one is the temp sensor for he ecu, hope that helps.;-)

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
They're on the back of the block above where the oil filter housing is. - There should be two pretty close together; I forget which is which, but one is for the clocks and the other for the ECU.

Nice one, cheers guys, that's a great help, I didn't even know there was two! I'll have a look this aft now, hopefully the connection will just have worked loose! :-D

Gtirchris

You wil probably find that the connector has come loose on the pin it sits on mate, my one did it and I just soldered it back into place buddy.

Well that was a pain in the arse to repair! I eventually located it, to find the wire had snapped. But between having no room as standard, an me having a top mount oil cooler it took some squeezing in to crimp on a new end! I managed though but would never have found it if it weren't for both your descriptions for the location! Cheers!

ksearing

Any advice as to how to actually get at the connector - I have a similar problem with the ECU sensor, and cannot see how to get to it to unclip the connector, let alone replace the sensor. My car is bog standard with top intercooler. What is the best method of attack to be able to get to the sensor(s)? Thanks, Keith

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I don't know if it actually will help, but I'd start with axle stands; then turn the steering all the way to the left; then take the wheel off... and see if you've got enough room to work.

I think that would be easier than trying to get in from the top, but you've still got the power steering belts and pump in your way.

I changed mine by removing left engine mount and using a trolley jack to tilt the left side up. That way you can get to it easier. It's easy to see from the top it's just a bastard getting your hand in; so tilting engine up helps.