Compressor surge, help!

Jen-italia

:doh: Hi,

I got a FMIC installed a couple of weeks ago, and put on a Greddy Type RS BOV at the same time. The type rs kind of sounds like compressor surge, so when I first heard it I shrugged it off. But its been worrying me, so I bought another BOV, a Greddy type S this time, and put it on but there is no change in BOV noise which sounds identical to compressor surge. There is no noise coming from my bov, all from within the air filter, and there is vacuum running to the bov. Its also set to fully soft, and Ive also had it on fully hard with no changes in noise, no activation of the bov at all. I do NOT want to kill my turbo, as when I need to get another turbo I want to upgrade and do not have the cash right at the moment. Ive had many people look at this and cannot find the problem. I can push the spring in with my thumb when it was set to pretty much 3/4 of the way hard. Would the BOV be faulty even if I can push it? Is there another underlying problem, even tho I get vacuum and the lines are intact that I can see?

Last edited:

Shaun

From my experience with the Greddy BOV's i have fitted,they all sound like that.Are you sure the dumpvalve isnt working?

rx jamie

BOV's and dumpalves are the same thing lol. my impreza was the same. it was working just released the air so fast it sounded as tho it wasnt. have you had it on the dyno ? that will reveal all? the best 40 odd you've ever spent?

ashills

right compressor surge is when the turbo over boosts on spool up not when coming on off throttle what u are hearing is air blowing back across the blades what cossies call wastegate chatter or compressor stall

the reason bov/dump valves dont work very well on gtir is that the vaccum lines are rubbish
if u take a pipe from the 4 pipes linked together on the throttle bodies and put that on the dump valve it will work perfectly but tbh you could run without a DV and it would be fine on the stock turbo so nothing to worry about