Common Rust area's

saddler

Ok going to be doing some rust protection on my new R
I know the arches and bottom of the doors are problem areas
so is there any other places that i need to do.. ??

B

Beachsleeper

Inner wing, I went to drill it out to fit the front mount. Well i just pushed my hand through.

jameswrx2

Mine seems to have kept rust a bay somewhat. I've had it up in the air, looked most places (even front wings off) and it seems very good.

Obvious R places are rear arches, rear wheel wells where they join the floor pan.

What I did with mine was jack it right up and jet wash it off (during the good weather we had) then ran it around for a day or so to dry off properly, then waxoiled everywere underneath (there's lots of nooks) then white greased sprayed (motorcycle chain grease, nice n sticky) all bolts and threads etc.

Also when I've done anything on the car (like messing with the front bumper, adjusting door hinge) I've cleaned and treated all exposed areas.

A good idea also is to remove the side skirts, they seem to fill up with mud and dirt at the front end and it's a good idea to clean all that off so it can't hold onto moisture.

Keira

jameswrx2 said:
A good idea also is to remove the side skirts, they seem to fill up with mud and dirt at the front end.
i found some jap blokes 10mm ring spanner in one of mine :lol:

mattytappy

mine had it everywhere...floor pans,castle rails running underneath..rear quarters...bottoms of the doors,front slam panel. but then again i did buy a rotter....but to be honest considering most of them come from japan which the weather out there rains most of the time and the age of the cars now its pretty hard to find a clean unrusty shell now.....except mine now after 8 months of metal work:doh:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Mine was mint underneath when it came from Japan, but 5.5years here is starting to take it's toll.

O

Odin

I think most of you would be very surprised if you actually took a proper look under neath your cars, Mine was a 21k 94 reg minter when it arrived over here but even it had a few spots of surface rust under neath, I spent months and months stripping it all back and re painting it.

But I still haven't managed to stop my arches staring to go, I will need them done next year for sure.

Rob

MORF114

under neath all the weather rubbers doors and boot take of your rubbers and check under them sometimes they can be really bad check under you scuttle panel and around front windscreen around trims as shitty salt crap off the road loves to hibernate in there, take of your front and rear bumper and check the back panel and the front panel , under your carpets all the chassis floor, take of you mirrors check behind them for rust, you really need to look at your car and think where water can get in and settle somwhere where two panles join together is most likely to rust first ie arches and bottom of doors

saddler

:thumbsup: Great posts Im going to use my local garage lift to view the underside and with luck im going to try and keep the the car out of the rain until the underside is painted/treated..

P

pulsarboby

mines garaged 24 7 365 days of the year:lol: :lol: bl00dy thing never has a chance to get any rust on it:shock: and thats why odins one is so clean aswell:roll:

better to have a nice rusty one which you can drive and say you've had some fun with;-) thats my dream anyway.

O

Odin

pulsarboby said:
mines garaged 24 7 365 days of the year:lol: :lol: bl00dy thing never has a chance to get any rust on it:shock: and that's why Odin's one is so clean as well

Their is defiantly some truth in that :shock: :oops: , mines only been on the road 3 years out of the six I've owned it :doh: :doh: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Rob

saddler

Odin said:
Their is defiantly some truth in that :shock: :oops: , mines only been on the road 3 years out of the six I've owned it :doh: :doh: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Rob
Is the due to mechanical problems :shock: As that dont sound good for a new to be owner..:sad:

EVOBAD

saddler said:
Is the due to mechanical problems :shock: As that dont sound good for a new to be owner..:sad:
ul find with rob/odin he likes the bling so his engine is out all the time he loves polishing all the chrome bits:thumbsup: but as for pulsar ther probly is only one other car which rusts more & that the old lada which used to rust as soon as it came out of the factory:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :lol:

O

Odin

saddler said:
Is the due to mechanical problems :shock: As that don't sound good for a new to be owner..:sad:

Nope it's never broken down once fella ;-) , I just keep up grading it all the time and it takes time to get it right, That or I'm just a slow worker :oops: :doh: .

I took it off the road for 16 months to strip the under side and re paint, And then this time it's been off the road for 10 months while I waited for my new engine to arrive and some other bits and bobs, In between that it's run faultlessly though :thumbsup:.

Rob