Common GTiR problems

I

Impact

I've tried searching already throught the forums but I found a bunch of problems usually after modification.

But as a future buyer of a Pulsar I just want to know what are the common problems for this kind of vehicle. Cause at the same time I would probably purchase additional parts even before the car comes down if the problems are quite notorious.

Please and thanks.

A

Anonymous

Depends on how the car has been driven :!:
If its been doing lots of 5 grand dumps then have a look for clutch wear and gearbox problems. Also dump some synth gearbox oil in there too. will help a lot. Even if it hasn't been flogged.
I had the Slave clutch cylinder go on mine.
I'm sure there are more things to look for but...... can't think of any now.
I really think it depends on the previous drivers. Save your cash til you drive it. Then figure out what to do.

Good luck :!: :D

J

Jonny H

As said it depends on its previous life! :roll: Look in the "what to look for" section (link below)

http://forum.gtiroc.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=12888

That should help you out! They're all the basics on what to look for when buying a Pulsar!! Only advice i would give as would, probably the majority of everone on here is take your time, dont jump at the first one you see! :wink:

LOU ROB

I've never seen a chav drive an 'R :shock:
But coming from the sticks, I probably never will :lol: :lol:

geetee

they're over 10 years old now, shit goes wrong... expect to replace the normal 10 year old car stuff like clutch and brake cylinders, siezed handbrake cables etc. etc.

clutch pedal box needs reinforcing.

if you mod it, expect the clutch to go.
if you mod it a lot, expect the gearbox to go.
if you mod it anymore budget to rebuild the engine.

rusty rear wheel arches.

you'll need bigger brakes (not cos they go wrong, just the standard ones are pants).

wiring appears to be pony too, lot's of crap earth problems etc.

import spec battery is too small for UK winters.

headlining rattles.

aerials never seem to work on import cars.

electric windows get sticky (lube the seals).

driver's side electric window controls have a habit of breaking.

Otherwise fookin fantastic :D

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

JIMMYBACK

geetee said:
they're over 10 years old now, Skoda goes wrong... expect to replace the normal 10 year old car stuff like clutch and brake cylinders, siezed handbrake cables etc. etc.

clutch pedal box needs reinforcing.

if you mod it, expect the clutch to go.
if you mod it a lot, expect the gearbox to go.
if you mod it anymore budget to rebuild the engine.

rusty rear wheel arches.

you'll need bigger brakes (not cos they go wrong, just the standard ones are pants).

wiring appears to be pony too, lot's of crap earth problems etc.

import spec battery is too small for UK winters.

headlining rattles.

aerials never seem to work on import cars.

electric windows get sticky (lube the seals).

driver's side electric window controls have a habit of breaking.

Otherwise oh no'in fantastic :D

Cheers
GeeTee 8)
i cant fault wot he sed :)

I

Impact

Just a reminder guys that Im in Canada and Im not sure how your winters are over there but where I am its gets pretty cold.

Thanks for the info guys and thanks geetee for the list, that helps alot.

geetee

Put it this way, I've put a new standard Micra K10 battery in mine (2 weeks ago) - it hasn't really dropped below 0 deg C but on 'cold' mornings it's a bit sluggish to turn over.

If you're in the bits of Canada that get down to neg 20 then you need to be looking at a bigger battery - which you may as well locate in the boot. (Gives you more room for mods in the engine bay and moves a bit of weight away from the front of the car ).

You also need to be thinking about what engine oil u'll be using in the middle of winter.

CHeers
GeeTee 8)

G

GAZ P

I've had mine for 5 years and its been very reliable in terms of all electrics still working ie windows, mirrors central locking even the sunroof :lol: Just sort out any minor niggles with mods :lol: things like the brakes,clutch,gearbox & engine :wink: