Coilovers

C

Crazy

I have TEINheight adjustable coilovers with adjustable top mounts and in the receipts it states that they were nearly £1500 inc VAT :wink:

A

Anonymous

sounds nice

who supplies them in the uk
(oh an do u have a website or email addy for them?)

cheers.

C

Crazy

They were already on the car when I bought it!

Try typing in "TEIN HA coilover suspension" into the google search bar and you should have lots of companys that stock TEIN! 8)

S

Sirnixalot

Tein HA with upper pillow ball mounts
JIC FLT-A2 with upper pillow ball mounts

T

T11EWL

I don't know for sure (and don't have an -R so wouldn't be expected to :lol: )
but I think LEDA do a kit for the -R

Am I right ?
Anyone ?

Also, there was a company called Scorpion at Autosport International last year which were just starting out and looking for some popular cars to make kits for - don't know if they've done an -R kit yet ?

GTIR-LOZ

yep your right although i beleive you have to have spacers on wheels which means longer wheel studs, but i think they are a grand also

Hkondakci

Two major Japanese brands supply coilovers for the R. The TEIN HA is my favourite. This one is both height aswell as ride (16-points) adjustable. The JIC SF-1 are only height adj, and the SA-1 are both height aswell as ride (5-points) adj.
-Tein HA without adjustable pillow top mount
-Tein HA with adjustable pillow top mount
-JIC SF-1 with adjustable pillow top mount
-JIC SF-1 without adjustable pillow top mount
-JIC SA-1 with adjustable pillow top mount
-JIC SA-1 without adjustable pillow top mount
INTRAX also makes two types for our R; one is only height adj, the other is the full group N one, with ride adjustability aswell.
Of course LEDA make a good kit for the R, but these sets are very heavy in weight and do tend to rust. I had one on my S13 in the past. The ride was excellent though.

S

srbpower

TEIN HA's :wink: what prices can everyone get these for :wink: , its just a shame they didn't do the the FLEX kitt with EDFC for the GTiR's

Si :)

S

srbpower

We have direct access to TEIN so if there is enough interest, could possible set up a group buy????

SI :)

GINGA

We have direct access to TEIN so if there is enough interest, could possible set up a group buy????
If the price is right I'd be interested, would have to be less than a grand though :wink:

D

domestos75

there is a company in australia called DMS(drummond motor sport)who make coilovers for many cars(including ours).the guys that have them on their cars are very impressed with their performance.the only problem is they are pretty expensive.AUS $3500-$3800.

cheers,
steven

G

gtirron

ive got leda coilovers, to be honest i am looking at changing them as they are too stiff, great for motorways and the likes but not great for b roads.

Nad

Yeah this is a point I was making a while back. If ur going for coilovers make sure the dampening rates can be varied enough so a softer spring can be used if u like ur b-roads. My Intrax shocks are only height adjustable so I may have to change them. 2.25" coilovers arent always the best way to go. Our cars have coilovers as standard as do many cars, so dont get mixed up with the terms. Coilover = coil over the dampner. Most people use coilover as a term for the 2.25" setup.

L8r

Nad

Cris

Nad said:
Our cars have coilovers as standard as do many cars, so dont get mixed up with the terms. Coilover = coil over the dampner. Most people use coilover as a term for the 2.25" setup.

L8r

Nad
Not trying to start an arguement or anything but I would have described our suspension as McPherson struts. The only road cars I know that don't use coil springs over the shocks are some big Mercs (excepting cars without coil springs at all).

Mind you I'm not sure how I would describe the spring/shock combo on a car with say multi-link suspension...

K

KrissJ

I live in the Lakes so B roads are a big part of my driving and sometimes when I've been in cars with coilobers they have felt a bit too stiff. Hopefully I should be gettin an R soon so I've been looking at coilovers and as far as I can gather Tein do a couple of kits for around £1500, Whiteline are developing a kit that'll probably go for around the same and I think Nismo do some aswell but not sure about prices and HKS do them but for adjustable damping your talking £2000+. Thats all I can think of off the top of my head.

Is it worth getting coilovers rather than a noprmal lowering kit or a good set of springs cos when I get my R coilovers would be really hurting the bank so I was goona wait n just get springs in the mean time but if its worth it I might try and go for it?

K

KrissJ

Oh yeah and what sort of fitting prices have people been charged. I know it varies but I was only charged £100 for a full kit on my saxo and I thought french cars were harder to do cos of the rear setup. And (not wanting to steal this thread cos its all on the sam lines :wink: ) is there anything else people would recommend fitting at the same time as the suspension like the whiteline anti-lift/castor kit (supposed to reduce power understeer) or uprated anti roll bars etc.

I want to go as fast as I can 8)

Nad

Cris said:
Nad said:
Our cars have coilovers as standard as do many cars, so dont get mixed up with the terms. Coilover = coil over the dampner. Most people use coilover as a term for the 2.25" setup.

L8r

Nad
Not trying to start an arguement or anything but I would have described our suspension as McPherson struts. The only road cars I know that don't use coil springs over the shocks are some big Mercs (excepting cars without coil springs at all).

Mind you I'm not sure how I would describe the spring/shock combo on a car with say multi-link suspension...
McPherson stuts are a specific suspension design, like a brand name. Like with Hoover and Vacumn. McPherson is a type of coilover and can come in two sizes, the larger spring and cup design or the smaller 2.25" version. I dont knw if that makes more sense?

Nad

Cris

Nad said:
Cris said:
Nad said:

L8r

Nad

McPherson stuts are a specific suspension design, like a brand name. Like with Hoover and Vacumn. McPherson is a type of coilover and can come in two sizes, the larger spring and cup design or the smaller 2.25" version. I dont knw if that makes more sense?

Nad
It's funny because now you mention it a McPherson strut doesn't have to have a spring over the damper (though I don't know any examples of this).

In more general terms I would be very temped to fit 2.25" coil-overs if I had the cash/didn't have KYBs and 'special' springs.

From experience fitting and removing springs/dampers is an arse. I have done mine several times and hve the bruises from the spring compressors to prove it. I have never tried 2.25" spring/damper combos but I'm sure that they'd be easier to deal with.

Also I had lots of fun playing with ride heights etc (serach for threads if you want to know more) so having adjustable ride height was be a great bonus.

Whilst I'm on a roll - if your 2.25" are too hard then you can very easily change this by fitting softer springs. When I looked into it they about £60 a pair (depending on weight) and you can get them in whatever colour you like.

Finally (yes really) don't forget that after you mess about with shocks and springs etc you will need to get the car tracked again which will mean another few £££.

Here endeth todays session.

Nad

I supose u could wedge the spring somewhere else. Its easy to get lost in technical talk.

Not all vacumns have to have a bag inside, like the dyson :lol: buts its still vacumn.

A coilover is a coilover, McPherson strut is on the same terms as say double wishbone etc etc. Its a type of suspension....... I think I may have to go off and do another technical post lol.

Nad

Now where was that bloody engineering book.........