Clutch retailer any good?

keastygtir

I just phoned them and they dont do any for the R anymore!

I called exedy, they were very helpful and said there sports clutch )organic would be good for 290mn, do you think this is enough for a 1.2 bar remapped R?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
It's not even enough for a standard R.
Standard R makes 284nm at 4800rpm. Give it a good cold winters day and you'll be above that figure.

Last edited:

The Doc

Moderators
Staff member
Competition clutch or helix for sensible pedal and capable of holding that power. S14 run the same clutch just a different release bearing

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Organic is a conventional pressure plate (with organic contact material rather than ceramic).
Paddle is a limited contact area plate (typically with three to six paddles from a central section; hence the name).

I don't claim to understand the physics of it because it seems counter-intuitive, but you can hold more torque (and by extension, power) on the paddle clutch. - They're a lot more on-or-off than a conventional friction plate, so not as traffic friendly.

Ultimately they're both limited by the cover plate you use because that's what's proving the clamping force.

Last edited:

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Google to the rescue! - Pressure = force / area

Reducing the contact area on the clutch means that more clamping pressure is achieved from the same force from the cover plate! - That also means a higher rate of wear and more "judder" on take-off (which is why they're not so traffic friendly).

More paddles makes it more like a conventional pressure plate... to the point where it's not really one or the other so it's technically a hybrid clutch.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
That's probably one for someone who actually knows what they're talking about, but I would have thought a paddle clutch puts more shock on the transmission and is therefore comparatively worse than a conventional friction plate. - The difference might not be quantifiable when you take driving style into account too.

Mr B

I really like the Competition Clutch (CC) stage3 segmented 8pad on full disc sprung, as almost as tough as the 6puks but it slightly better road manners .
CC are very good value but perhaps not so cheap in UK/EU, they do a huge range of 24spline 240mm clutch options for DETs & if best price is not GTiR advertised specific all you need do is add the specific gtir release bearing.
Current price to spec offerings from helix are not what they once were & far better can be had from CC for little bit of effort.

Sticking with sprung friction plate helps transmission hugely, ceramic paddles are more grabby & due to this create slightly more shock loads on transmission but keeping to sprung plate & 8 pads won't bother a healthy transmission unless driver makes some effort to.

keastygtir

so to be clear, all the sr20 clutches are the same I would just need a gtir specific release bearing?

The Doc

Moderators
Staff member
Not all..s14 and gtir are the same..non turbo like primera and gti are smaller clutches

keastygtir

Thanks for the advice guys, I think I am going to go for a competition clutch stage 3 as its a good compromise. Do i need a new pivot ball thingy?