Clunk Underneath Car

hmmm

Hi,

When starting off in the morning I turn the wheels to the left and drive off. As the car turns I get a clunk from underneath. This happened occasionally at first but has now become more common.

I also here a few small continiuos clunks when I am on a hill using the clutch biting point. Recently I have noticed a clunk when I go over bumps in the road sometimes or when I brake.

I've had the droplinks changed at the front and rear but it made no differece. The front Anti-Roll bar bushes have been changed to poly ones. The clunk sounds like its coming from the front of the car.

Any ideas what's casuing this?

Thanks.

Last edited:

EVOBAD

hmmm said:
Hi,

When starting off in the morning I turn the wheels to the left and drive off. As the car turns I get a clunk from underneath. This happened occasionally at first but has now become more common.

I also here a few small continiuos clunks when I am on a hill using the clutch biting point. Recently I have noticed a clunk when I go over bumps in the road sometimes or when I brake.

I've had the droplinks changed at the front and rear but it made no differece. The front Anti-Roll bar bushes have been changed to poly ones. The clunk sounds like its coming from the front of the car.

Any ideas what's casuing this?

Thanks.
cv joints any leaks on the rubber seals etc

J

justin666

Dodgy engine mount causing the engine to rock thus causing the downpipe to knock against the front ARB. Check to see what kinda state the top drivers side engine mount is in cause if its split it could well be the culprit ;-)

J.

J

jpward

I can second that as i had the same problem and what do ya know mount was split :doh:

antgtir

Is the clunk just when you pass over bumps in the road? Or is it continuous? Check your suspension, springs and shock for wear.

If they are uprated springs and shocks (not coilovers) then sometimes they do clunk if the car has been lowered substantially.

Has the sound only just occured since fitting the new bushes?

I have recently fitted Whiteline front and rear antiroll bars with poly bushes and front poly drop link bushes and dont get this:?

If the clunk is as you engage the power from the engine i.e. transfer power to rear wheels it could also be a worn rear diff.

Ant.

J

justin666

One more thing to check..

I was getting a clunk from what I thought was the top of the offside front strut. Sounded just like the top mount for the shock as gone which seemed odd as The teins on the car we only a few months old. I checked EVERYTHING on the suspension front and nothing was loose, worn or knocking. As investigations moved on, and a mechanic had given the car the once over it was decided that the chassis was fine so even tho summat was clunking it obviously wasnt related to that.

As it turns out, this clunking noise turned out to be to top ruddy door hinge!!!!!!! The noise of this knocking was resonating down the car making it sound like it was the shock!!! :doh: :doh: New hinges on the way :thumbsup:

This is probably completely unrelated but defo worth a check along with the top engine mount. The hinge on mine only clunked when the door was rocked up and down with it practically completelty shut.

J.

ps. Think the engine mount is around the 70 to 80 quid mark. Ive got a reciept for my new one so will check the price and part number when I get home this aft.

hmmm

antgtir said:
Is the clunk just when you pass over bumps in the road? Or is it continuous? Check your suspension, springs and shock for wear.

If they are uprated springs and shocks (not coilovers) then sometimes they do clunk if the car has been lowered substantially.

Has the sound only just occured since fitting the new bushes?

I have recently fitted Whiteline front and rear antiroll bars with poly bushes and front poly drop link bushes and dont get this:?

If the clunk is as you engage the power from the engine i.e. transfer power to rear wheels it could also be a worn rear diff.

Ant.
The clunk happens occasionally over bumps. Springs and shocks are failry new (Koni Inserts with Whiteline Springs).

The noise started quite a while after the poly bushes were fitted. I don't thik its the diff as I get the clucnk when I turn left from standing still.

antgtir

I used to have Koni adjustables with lowering srings on my Cav before i got the pulsar and that used to do the same thing when i was turning at stand still.

You could try jacking the car up and turning the spring so that it definately sits right within the cup of the strut i.e. where the spring sits.

Who fitted these? If they haven't been fitted right you will get movement of the spring and the clunk will be the spring settling into the correct position when turning the steering.

Ant.

CruiseGTi-R

When I changed the rear lower arm bush to the castor kit one I got clunking when turning left and always immediately after setting off.

Turned out one of the two allen bolts that clamp the bush wasn't fully tight, solved.

I hate clunks, bloody irritating.

CruiseGTi-R

antgtir said:
I used to have Koni adjustables with lowering srings on my Cav before i got the pulsar and that used to do the same thing when i was turning at stand still.

You could try jacking the car up and turning the spring so that it definately sits right within the cup of the strut i.e. where the spring sits.

Who fitted these? If they haven't been fitted right you will get movement of the spring and the clunk will be the spring settling into the correct position when turning the steering.

Ant.
I second this, sometimes after bugaring about with my suspension they'll clunk. Jacking the car back up (usually in a rage) loosening the top three bolts (for the sake of it), pulling it about, turning the spring, swearing lots, then dropping the car back down and the noises go. Weird. As ant says, all to do with how they sit.

paz

Could also be the suspension mount bearing, these can collapse and cause clunking as the suspension spring settles.

Paz

hmmm

Any place I can take the car, to get this sorted, locally? The clunk has been getiing worse gradually and it's so annoying.

J

justin666

Does the car feel and different handling wise to what it did before the clunk started.?? Is it looser at the front on right hand bends for example.???

Just remembered I forgot to get the part number and price for the mount :oops: :oops: Will do it later just on the of chance you do need it at some point.

J.