Close ratio box or standard??

DRC

HI, is there any simple way to find out what sort of gearbox i have? (close ratio or standard) any marks or anything. its just we are not sure as the accel is good but top is poor (so far), not topped it yet as still bedding in. the car came into this contry with nismo shocks and springs, knee supports, poss?? short shift, heated and cooled seats. so this makes me think it could be a different box.
any thoughts on the matter?

Cheers
Dan

O

Odin

Well if it'e maxed out 125ish it's a close ratio box if it pull's to 150-160 then it's standard :wink: .

Also at 3000 rpm it will be doing 70 ish on a standard box and 4000rpm on a close ratio box I think but don't quote me it's been nearly 3 year's since I drove my old R with the close ratio box.

Also you would prob only get about a 100 to 120 mile's per tank on a car fitted with the close ratio box, I used to get about 90 mile's myself :shock: :cry: , If you drive like a girl you might get 150 mile's per tank.

rob

DRC

thanks for that mate. so there are no other markings or signs that its a close ratio box?

B

Brett G

Not sure about the markings but its easy enough to tell, like Rob said. You'll find yourself in 4th down a 30 zone (if your driving easy) etc.
And as also mentioned if your doing much over 3000 rpm in fifth at seventy then the box is probably a Dakar (close ratio) box.
I used to have one and I much prefer the standard :wink:

DRC

Do most people stick with the standard box then? i just had the box rebuilt and shot peined. oh well. !!!!!!!! Cheers for you adivce.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
You won't make 60(if you want to keep it legal) in 2nd below the redline with the close ratio box. Unless your speedo is waaaay out :?