cleaning a intercooler

NU773R

not cleaned the car since before it snowed because i done a disk in my back, came to clean it today and the intercooler is so dirty from the salt and crap off the roads :cry:

i've used metal polish for the out side but is there anyway i can clean the fins up abit??

cheers

davey red.r

id imagine wonder wheels would be ok,? use the brush that comes with it, to get in the fins, wouldnt leave it on to long tho 4mins ,then jet off should come up fine.

davey

Fusion Ed

wonderwheels should not touch the alu. See the instructions if you don't believe me. One way I have found for cleaning rads/intercoolers is to cap the ends and sand blast them. Believe it or not it removes all the crap without bending a fin. I thought I would give it a go in my blast cabinet on a cooler i was going to otherwise throw away.

Animaldaz

Coca cola is a good idea, we use it at work to remove siezed in diesel injectors. believe it or not its the only thing that shifts them.

MORF114

Hydrochloric acid ( muriatic acid or spirit of salt) leaves aluminium a dark grey colour , it removes corrosion only wont shift grease and oil. just dont make bombs with it :-D.

Wear a mask and gloves and use a tooth brush and watch it bubble away at the corrosion.

Last edited:

davey red.r

holidays are coming holidays are coming:lol:
try coke mate like mentioned before, bloody good drink to waste tho.

davey